Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2004 camry with a dead battery and keys will not…

Customer Question
I have a 2004...

I have a 2004 camry with a dead battery and keys will not open the doors to allow me to pop the hood open

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I know the battery will recharge. I just need to know how to pop the hood open so I can do so

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just want to pop pen the hood and remove the battery for charging

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. I just need to get the hood open and I can get inside the car to use the release

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Does the key insert at all in to the door lock cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there?

Okay just to clarify you can insert the key into the doorlock cylinder but it does not turn to unlock the doors. Did you try the passenger doorlock cylinder sometimes of the drivers door lock cylinders frozen in the right passenger door has not been used sometimes you can get the key lock cylinder to work in there to unlock the door?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tried them both several times. Once or twice passenger side turned a quarter turn but door doesn't open

Will the key work in the trunk lock cylinder? Do you have any other keys to try? Did you try spraying some WD-40 or similar penetrant into the lock cylinder then work the key in and out wiggling it left and right trying to get it to turn?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Works in the trunk. Can open the trunk. WD40 doesn't seem to make a difference on door

Standby I'm checking something

Is this an LE do you have the vehicle identification number available?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's an LE. Give me a minute on the VON
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
VIN: 4T1BE32K24U315774

Okay checked the vehicle identification number the release mechanism for the rear seat fold-down is inside the car not in the trunk some models had a pull cable inside the trunk that you could pull and have the seat fold-down and you could climb to the trunk if you can get the trunk lid open. I assume at this point you've tried all your different keys that are possible? Are you certain that you have a good key?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is the only key I know of. My deceased wife's car.

Do you live where rust and corrosion are an issue?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician