Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The audio system works fine for extended periods until I…

The audio system works...

The audio system works fine for extended periods until I shut the ignition to off position. Then when I restart the truck (or just turn to accessory) the radio will not play and the Bluetooth does not work. Once everything cools down it works again. Fuses are fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse?

Yes, both are fine. It is an issue with being worm I am pretty sure. When it is cold outside and the truck sits it restarts pretty quickly, when it is warm/I am running the truck with the heater it takes longer to reset.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2012 quad cab long bed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tacoma

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just the fuses, I have tried lots of combinations of trying to restart, accessory only or actually turning the truck on and same result. Also it looks like the radio display is not working at all but at night I can see that it is actually on, just very very dim. Only happens once it warms up and ignition is turned to off. If I run the truck then stop and run to accessory mode the radio keeps working until I go to off, then it won’t come cack on

3/20/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you got a circuit tester and or a multi-meter to do some tests with? I can get a wiring diagram from our shop to follow along tomorrow so we can isolate this issue if that is ok?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had a multi meter at one time, have to look to see if I still have it. How does this work if we have a lot of back and forth questions, do I get charged for each time we correspond?Thanks

no you are not charged for every correspondence, question as such but if this gets involved I may request an additional service That may be beneficial and you will have the option to accept or decline as you see fit. There will be no hidden surprises as your in complete control of what and how you want it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Peter,
I am pretty sure I got rid of my multi tester, in any case I cannot find it. I talked to a local Toyota service tech and after explaining everything his best guess was it was a problem in the radio itself. Any ideas of something I can check or tell you (without a tester) that might help us confirm this?

that is where I was leaning to if you read up to my previous notes , but I like to be positively right when dealing with my customers so I don't waste your time and money. If you wish we can still do this check with a cheap test light or circuit tester for under $20 . Either way you have to remove the radio, but you may be stuck with an expensive radio if it is something else , so let me know how you wish to pursue this

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Peter, I am not willing to spend the time it sounds like it will take to track down this issue at this time.

Most likely its the power transformer acting up inside the radio unit itself , had a couple of them do exactly the same thing, you can either remove the unit and have a radio shop try to fix it or replace with a new [ expensive one] or look around the wreckers.

If there is no more things I can do for you would you kindly take the time to rate my service so we can close this thread, thank you .

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician