Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Prius, and the battery is dead. I tried to…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 Prius, and the battery is dead. I tried to jump start it using cables according to the instructions in the manual, but it did not charge. I considered going in to the back of the car where the battery is actually located, but I cannot open the back door hatch because there's no power. The car is sitting in my home's garage. Any tips for getting it jumped? The 12 volt battery is not very old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It's absolutely dead, dead, dead. There's no power whatsoever. Accordingly, the smart key is useless.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a second vehicle and used jumper cables to try to get the Prius battery charged. I had the second vehicle runing for about an hour in the hopes of getting the Prius battery charged, but no luck. I carefully llowed the instructions in the manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to know if I can jump start the car myself, or whether I'm going to have to have it towed to a dealer for maintenance.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/19/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

You had the positive and negative terminal to the positive and negative terminal of the jumper to car correct? Where did you place the red jumper cable on your Prius? Where did you place the black jumper cable end on your Prius?

Oh, please! I've jump started vehicles before. I had the positive jumper cable placed correctly to the positive terminal plate located in the Prius's fuse box that is located under the hood on the right side, exactly the way the owner's manual stipulated!! And I had the negative cable attached to an unpainted metal component under the hood, exactly as shown in the manual. But doing it this way failed to charge the Prius's 12 volt battery. The owner's manual indicated that failure to charge the battery this way means calling the dealer. Yeah, right. Nevertheless, I went to other Internet sources and succeeded in getting the car started by attaching the jumper cables from my GMC Envoy to the Prius's 12 Volt battery located in the TRUNK IN THE BACK OF THE CAR (the owner's manual gave no indication that this was an option - I found this out from a video I found on You Tube). And I had the jumper cables placed correctly (obviously). You might have thought of that in your pitiful response. What a waste of 20 bucks!!!! Never again will I consult Just Answers.

Well I could vent right back but I won't I would just simply tell you I have no idea what your capabilities are and what you're able to do or how you did it. All I can do is question you on your procedures and methods. Without proper information in this format is difficult to give you specifics. If I've offended you my apologies however I need to start at the basics with everybody not knowing what I'm dealing with. Besides that you haven't paid for anything you've merely made a deposit to your account nothing has been transferred. If you're not satisfied contact the moderator they will refund your deposit. Have a nice day.