Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Need help testing an ecm in a 2006 Toyota tundra

need help testing an ecm in a 2006 Toyota tundra
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

What exactly is going on with the truck? Are you getting any malfunction codes and the check engine light on? Is there a performance issue?

I have a previous question that is closed without finding the info needed. I'm trying again.
2006 Toyota Tundra 4.0 engine Cel light on code p2118 I have replaced the throttle body with a rebuilt unit from auto zone.
I have power to the ects fuse input and power output. also 12 volt at ecm wire +bm. .same code after repairs.
I have an autel maxisys elite and alldata. I may have a bad ecm or a short in wiring going to throttle body .any test for pin values would be great Thanks dave

Does your scan tool give you active test capabilities? Can you command the throttle open and close with the scan tool?

I have tried but ,it shows 0 voltage at +bm and test aborts I have noticed that if I switch ignition off and on the voltage on +bm goes to 7volts ,4 volts then 0 with live data
Im on Nantucket island and have no access to a dealership,I want to be sure its ecm before proceeding with options.

Did you confirm those voltage fluctuations on the scan tool by monitoring the actual voltage at the pin at the ECU with a good voltmeter?

This situation trying to diagnose this could get complicated very quickly are your repair shop or private owner? Do you have access to a good voltmeter? I sent the phone consultation offer it may be easier to get this information and discuss the problem with you via the telephone.

no, just on tool.my voltage at ecm/ +bm reads 12 volts . I have even bypassed the etcs wire with fused replacement.
We are a repair shop. yes maybe that's the best option . The truck is out of the bay at this time .around 3pm eastern I could get it back inside

Ok let me know when you are ready to proceed. You just need to approve the phone consult. I work a full time job and help people in between jobs and in the evening so be patient and we will get this resolved. The reason why no one took the question on before is because it's very complicated and very few experts on here have the ability to walk through this type of issue.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Sweet thanks, ***** ***** we can figure it out will accept and be in touch

Ok let me know.

good afternoon ,are you available ?
Eyeball deep in a problem car give me about an hour I'll try and get back with you what is your time frame and availability this evening?
not a problem ,I will try later

calling in 5 min?

Don't see your number in my email? Did you send it?

When are you available?

anytime today before 3 pm eastern

Just called about 5 mins ago and left message. I will try now.

tested power and ground circuits ,I have ground and power at ecm per diagrams. resistance is per spec. removed and cleaned all ground points. tension on pins is ok , all results point to ecm failure

I have been off-line all day today and going out of town for the weekend will have very limited Internet access. I may be able to sneak a phone call in on Saturday if you're in the office. If you're voltage drop to the power supplies to the engine computer for that circuit and the other power supplies to the computer in general test good with less than .1 V voltage drop and the ground circuits have less than .1 V voltage drop unfortunately this only leaves the computer. Did you pin fit all of the pins going to the computer for that circuit for the throttle body motor power input and grounds? That would be about the only thing left. Just never see very many computers fail. If you go with the used computer you will need to do the handshake procedure so that the codes from the transponder ECU are input to the engine computer if your truck has the immobilizer featured keys.

An update if you can read this , replaced the computer and truck is up and running, thanks again for your help.

Thanks for the update. Do not see ECU failures much but after all the tests it comes down to that.