Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Head gasket and Ive been doing some reading and research and…

Customer Question
Head gasket blown and...

Head gasket blown and Ive been doing some reading and research and they are aware that there is a problem with this engine what can you tell me ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Yes 3.0

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1994 pickup sr5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not sure what Im going to do,researching the issue

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/19/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Due to a high premature failure rate, Toyota extended the warranty to 8yrs/100,000 miles - see below

As yours is 24 yrs old, not only is it long past the extended warranty, no mechanic would reasonably call a headgasket failure after 24yrs "premature", but would say that you got your money's worth out the headgasket as they rarely last more than 15yrs. Material does degrade over time, regardless of mileage.

3VZ-E Head Gasket Special Policy Adjustment

In October 1996, Toyota announced a Special Policy Adjustment that provided extended warranty coverage for the head gaskets of certain 1988-1994 Toyota Compact Pickup Truck, 4Runner, and T100 equipped with the 3VZ-E V6 engine. This Special Policy Adjustment extended the warranty coverage for the head gaskets to 8 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurred first) or 12 months from the date of the owner notification letter.

Commencing in Dec., 1997, Toyota will proceed with the Special Policy Adjustment Warranty Extension program by notifying the remaining owners of 1988, 1989 and early production (up to 12/89 production date) Toyota Compact Pick-up Truck and 4Runner equipped with 3VZ-E V6 engines who have not previously received any notification or have not received any head gasket repairs from a Toyota dealer since October 1, 1996.

Since introducing this Special Policy Adjustment, Toyota has identified that the head gasket failure condition is primarily limited to a particular production period of the involved vehicles As a result, for a specific group of the vehicles previously involved in the Special Policy Adjustment, Toyota is now changing the handling procedure to a Special Service Campaign.

3V2-E Head Gasket Special Service Campaign (V06)

With the introduction of the new Special Service Campaign (V06), owners of late production 1990, all 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1994 up to early production 1995 (1/90 to 10/94 production date) Toyota Compact Pick-up Truck, 4Runner and T100 equipped with 3VZ-E V6 engines who have not received any head gasket repairs from a Toyota dealer since October 1, 1995 will be notified to contact a Toyota dealer for head gaskets replacement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what your saying is that theres nothing they will do because of time

HI,

That is correct. There is simply no way to claim it failed due to premature wear or faulty design since it lasted 24yrs.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager