Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Some times when I take off it goes real slow, Toyota hilux/

Customer Question
Some times when I...

Some times when I take off it goes real slow

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Toyota hilux/ 1991 right hand drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Higher octain gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Yes it is using more gas. It starts same as usual

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When you open the gas cap it has a lot of pressure

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/19/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

When is the last time it was tuned up ?

If there is a lot of pressure in the fuel tank , the first thing to do is replace the filler cap as the valves in it are not functioning properly.

It has been about 15 months for a tune up
Also after running for 15 minutes the muffler is very hot
Toyota Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago
eric remington

HELLO HAVE YOU CHECKED IGNITON TIMING? DO YOU HAVE ANY VACUUM LEAKS DOES ENGINE IDLE SMOOTH OR ROUGH? ARE THERE ANY LIGHTS ON DASH

I checked . It runs smooth, just sometimes it won't go more than 10 mph for about a minute or so and then it works good.
It is using about a third more gas than before this problem
No lights on dash are on
Toyota Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

fuel filter? when replaced tune up? engine timing?

Toyota Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

you could have restriced exhaust partially clogged fuel filter and or low fuel pressure a sticking egr valve to name a few..plz try and answer questions as they are impotant if you don't know its ok

Toyota Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

does ck engine lite illuminate when key in run position?

I am trying to do it myself.the fuel filter was changed about 9 months ago.I didn't check erg vale.the muffler gets real hot !
Toyota Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

how often does this happen when first cold or after driving awhile how consistent? intermittent. try disconnecting egr hose..do you hear any noises under car? rattling sounds hissing noises how long has this been happening? mileage? spark plugs?

Toyota Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 3 months ago

do you still need help

No , but Thank you, ***** ***** put it in the shop!