Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota Sequoia 2011 - Rear Lift gate will not open all the…

Customer Question
Toyota Sequoia 2011 -...

Toyota Sequoia 2011 - Rear Lift gate will not open all the way.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?

The lift gate opens now about 75% the height when it was new. Even if I push it up higher, it falls down about 6 inches. Power close works fine. There are two piston like devices that I believe are:

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Part No. 68907-0C011 - Passenger Side
Part Description STAY SUB-ASSY, BACKPart No. 68908-0C011 - Driver Side
Part Description STAY SUB-ASSY, BACK

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/19/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

i did not see a question in your response. what do you need to know?

That's strange as I did type you some notes? Any way I will do again. Have you contacted a dealer on this issue as it has been on on going issue with Toyota with a couple similar models with these parts you listed . The have known about this for some time now so you may get assistance with the repair. There was a bulletin on this as well but don't know if still applies. It seems those items fail and need to be replaced. There is also a lot of communication on forums on the net for this same issue you may want to verify my info . I know that if you have been a loyal customer of Toyota it holds a good standing when dealing with matters like this to get assistance in doing repairs like this so it won't hurt to ask the dealer or Toyota customer service as well.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I have not taken this to the dealer because I assumed this issue was out of warranty. So are you saying that it may be covered or partially covered by a Toyota bulletin? Is there any way for you to send me a copy of the bulletin?Regards,Gary

the builtin is not actually a repair builtin but tech notes as Toyota is dragging their feet on this, but I have a link that has many issues from other people like you that may fuel the need to contact Toyota customer service on this issue as they may help with this issue , won't hurt to help It could also be just a reprogramming or alignment to the door as you will read in the forum I send.