Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Toyota HVAC Master Tech. Need help trouble shooting lack of…

Toyota HVAC Master Tech. Need...
Toyota HVAC Master Tech. Need help trouble shooting lack of air output to front floor vents for 2010 Toyota Tundra extended cab. 192,000 miles. 2nd owner. Have Techstream data. Air Outlet Servo Pulse (D) reads normal for all settings except FOOT. FOOT normal is 56 (pulse). I get 64 or 70 when FOOT is selected on control panel (saw both readings as I cycled through the settings several times). No air output to either front floor vent (D or P) when FOOT is selected. But at the same time, there's plenty of air to rear floor vents. So air is going to the floor vents some where, just not the front floor vents...only the rear floor vents. Wondering if I need to just replace the servo, or if the fact the servo reads normal at every other setting indicates the servo is fine and there is something mechanically wrong? Have read forums of clogged floor vents at heater core or broken door rods in the core. When I do active test on Techstream for Outlet Servo and manually set normal reading of 56, I still don't get air and the front floor vents.
Answered in 1 day by:
3/20/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

a master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Do you have a scanner that is capable of doing an active test on the servos ?

If your readings that you sent are correct and the active test does not make it function then I would tend to agree it may be a mechanical issue more then electrical.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I did perform the active test with my Techstream. I commanded the 56 pulse, which is normal for FOOT, and still no air and the front foot vents.

then I would agree it is most likely a mechanical issue, if you can remove the sensor in question and see if you can psychically move the door.

Do you need any diagrams or pictures?

Not really on the diagrams. I have an alldata subscription. Any suggestions where to perhaps start? Servo gears? Blend door actuators? As you know, it's a lot of work to dig down into the hvac system. Would like to take a best guess where to start.

I know usually you have to remove the dash to R&R the heater box, personally I would try a new servo for that vent , might save you that extra work if not your into removing the heater box to see what part is jamming.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician