Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 95 Tacoma suddenly developed a problem after I changed…

Customer Question
HI,my 95 Tacoma suddenly...

HI,my 95 Tacoma suddenly developed a problem after I changed plugs and wires, just runs badly, I checked my plugs they had black soot all over them,also I cleaned the cold air intake and IAC. Thought its supposed run better.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

Yes and looked for svidence

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked wires and firing order

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Was thinking computers got a problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/18/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 1 month ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

this sounds like its running very rich

so I'd check for incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will be leaving the car constantly ' on choke' and not reducing the fuelling as the engine warms - so unplug the sensor and clean the contacts on both sides with some switch / electrical cleaner (not WD40) and inspect the wiring for any signs of damage to the insulation especially where it runs over other components and through the bulkhead- if this doesn't help consider replacing the sensor as they're not expensive

Also check for exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor as if this has been experiencing an exhaust leak then it will have been running very rich as the sensor will see the extra air pulled in as fresh / lean fuelling and be adding fuel to compensate.

this can lead to catalyst failure as the extra fuel can re-light inside and melt the catalyst

The best way to find an exhaust leak is to run the engine from cold and feel around the exhaust joints with your bare hands - you'll have about 30 seconds before it all gets too hot and you should feel any escaping gas blowing over your fingers

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 29 days ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Mechanical Engineer