Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited with 144k on it. The car…

I have a 2005 Toyota...
I have a 2005 Toyota Avalon Limited with 144k on it. The car belongs to my wife and as been dealer maintained since it was new. Just recently I noticed that when I push the start button the car will turn over then shut off immediately. I originally thought it might be a week battery in the key Fob so I replaced key fob but the problem continued. On occasion I will have to push the start button 3 times in order for the car to start. I'm beginning to wonder if I might have an issue with the actual start button.
3/18/2018
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

its possibly a fault with the starter system so it would be be worth checking the condition of that fuse and the associated starter relay in the under hood fuse box, pull the fuse out and clean its terminals

also check the condition of the main battery terminals as they need to be corrosion free and tight , also check where the ground cable is secured to the engine and chassis as it must be clean and tight here too

If you have low battery voltage then this too can create this issue so measure across the battery terminals with a meter as it should be at least 12.5V and drop no lower than 9.5V when cranking

If this is all OK then this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

1st thing to try is to remove the fuel filler cap and then flick the ignition on whilst listening for the brief ‘buzz’ of the pump

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for the response! Lots of valuable info you’ve given! I will go through the methodical process of troubleshooting this with the info you’ve given as a guide until I figure out actual culprit! Thanks again for the valuable info!

no problem

just get back to me on here

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Matt, Mechanical Engineer