Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2004 highlander.. In last year and a half have had issues…

2004 highlander.. In last year...
2004 highlander.. In last year and a half have had issues getting the vehicle out of park with brake pedal depressed. Then. In last year have had issues with no start. Double check battery connection and starter connections as best I could...intermittent issue with the start. Give it a few minutes. Try a few times and normally starts.
Inter lock??
3/18/2018
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Thanks for posting

If you can hear a single clicking noise everytime the key is turned to start and the battery is good and the connections are good then the starter is the most likely cause. If there is no noise at all the neutral start switch could be the problem as well so it should be checked. A good indication would be that by moving the shifter back and forth a couple of times allows it to start.

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No click like starter issue. I'll give the momma the info on moving shifter around. Is neutral switch the same relay as being in park??

T​he neutral start switch completes the circuit from the ignition switch through the relay then to the starter when the shifter is in park or neutral, this allows the starter to only engage when in either position. A shift interlock problem would not allow the shifter to come out of park at all. A bad connection, corrosion etc in the NS switch will cause starting problems, starter not engaging.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Call me you get chance
eric remington
Phone call session started

I​ will call are you east coast west coast?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
East coast.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks dude. It's Bud, but you think my name is ***** ***** a Toyota Hylander.
Getting a probe on the S wire to the starter was definitely the way to figure out the situation. Getting a probe on this wire was very difficult with this V6 Hylander.
Thx.

did u find problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh yeah!! It would've helped if I told you that the starter was the problem. Replaced. All lovely.. I hope. If not , I'll be talking to you.��Thanks

well good reverse lites work to?

no problem need anything let me know...Thanks for choosing Just Answer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did the series of test that you and I talked about. Brake lights, back up lights, etc. went down to the starter wire as we talked about , After confirming that all else was good. Good job. ThanksLove the Phone call option. I cannot type worth a crap. Siri always misunderstands me. Keep up the good work thank you

ok keep in touch as necessary for whatever you might need...thanks

Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech