Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2008 Prius touring would not start (black dash, no

My 2008 Prius touring...

My 2008 Prius touring would not start (black dash, no signals on display).Connected battery charger and vehicle started but battery would not charge, and if disconnected car cuts off. Took vehicle to Pep Boys who installed new Optima Yellow Top Battery and drove for a day. Went to tire dealership and after Prius was turned off, it had same problem in parking lot and would not start up. When hooked up to their commercial charger Prius would start but when charger disconnected Prius would cut off. Appears charger will not charge battery or for some reason, if battery is charged, battery power is not being transmitted to vehicle. HOWEVER, when small emergency booster pack is connected to battery cables Prius stars up AND IS DRIVEABLE. What gives?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Brand new battery - one day old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Touring yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, took to Pep Boys. Only thing I tried to do was charge battery (both old and now new) on a 2 amp trickle charge.

3/17/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This sounds like the battery that was installed does not meet the amperage and/or voltage needs of your Prius. The battery in the right rear is there to power up several electronic control units. If the available power in the battery drops below 11 volts (due to the draw of the control units), the car will not start or run. This is because the control units shut down and will not function with a low voltage/amperage condition. Look at thsi like what is called a "brown-out" when the power to a house is low. I would get a genuine Toyota battery and install it. Given the fact that an emergency booster causes the car to run, it is quite likely that my thinking is correct. Your replacement battery does not have the power that the electronic control units need.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm that you have received my input. Thanks!

Your response does not cover my situation. The Optima Yellow Top Battery is the replacement battery recommended for this vehicle from several sites and manufacturers. It is specifically designed for the high power requirements of my 2008 Prius with a smart key. This was thoroughly researched before the battery was purchased.

Your Optima battery may be defective. We have observed this in the shop many times. Again, with additional power *the external charger) attached, and the car runs, this is cleanly a lack of voltage of amperage. The aux battery powers up the computers. The main battery makes the car move.

I don't believe the battery is defective. I am going to have it tested right now. I will respond shortly when I definitively determine that the battery is not defective.

The battery may pass an on the bench test. You need the voltage in the battery tested when attached to the car.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert