Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2010 Toyota Venza 3.5L AWD. I am having an

intermittent problem on a both...
I have a 2010 Toyota Venza 3.5L AWD. I am having an intermittent problem on a both cold and hot starts when you initially start the car. When you go to crank the car it stumbles upon starting. Normal start is usually a short crank and runs smooth. once the car starts up and runs, the venza runs great. it only has an issue upon starting. We have replaced the Plugs with original Denso and have added a new air filter. the engine has 115.000 miles and never had the plugs changed so we though we would start there. There is no codes. Not sure what the issue might be and looking for suggestions and help thank you! if you need any more info I will do my best to explain.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I agree with your initial thinking here. The Spark Plugs on this vehicle need to be changed out at 100,000 miles. After those miles have been reached, the electrode on the base of the spark plugs is too far away from the part that it sparks to. This causes poor combustion on a cold-engine (as in not ran for 8+ hours). Addiditionally, the air filter should be checked and replaced if you cannot see light thru it when helt up to the sun or a strong lightbulb. This car's engine is designed for one brand of spark plug: Nippondenso. Get them at a Toyota dealer; get the air filter there too. Auto parts store spark plugs are not good in this engine and will cause misfires. Finally, at 100,000 miles, you probably have a thin coating of normal carbon buildup on the faces of the intake and exhaust valves. A goof can of fuel injection cleaner would be a very beneficial expenditure. We recommend an excellent product distributed by the BG Company; it is called BG 44-k. Phenomonal stuff. Well worth the price. Cheap fuel injection cleaner like STP is not effective. Use the BG 44-k. The plugs, the filter and the fuel injection cleaner should fix you right up.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm that you have received my input. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the info, I installed denso iridium long life plugs, and did find that the plug on cylinder 5 was leaking past the steel and porcelain. I also replaced all the boots and springs as well, I was kind of on the same track as you with the injection cleaning, I was thinking that there may be a little water in the fuel as well but in my experience never seen it cause a intermittent issue on start up but I’m not going to say it can’t happen. So if the cleaning of the valves doesn’t cure the problem what would you chase next? Do these motors have timing issues with the cam phasers?

These engines do not have Ford style cam phasers, they have cam position sensors. If you have a sensor issue, you would have a check engine light on. You also might have a fuel pressure issue. Inside the fuel pump there is a check valve that keeps residual fuel pressure at the injectors for the next start. If this check valve is leaking, you lose fuel pressure at the injectors on the initial start attempt. After the pump runs a few seconds, full fuel pressure is then at the injectors. Dirty/leaking fuel injectors will cause the same issue. The BG 44-K would be a good idea here.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the help! I will give the bg a shot and see what happens.

Look for a distributor via their website: www.bgprod.com. Thanks for choosing Just Answer!

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert