Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have been getting p0770/p0773 code readings but the check…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have been getting p0770/p0773 code readings but the check engine light goes on and off. We noticed that if we drive the vehicle [Aug 1997 Camry (V6)] on the freeway then the check engine light goes off. My wife drives this vehicle but on local street daily so we suspect the problem will go away by itself if she drives it more on the freeway. Will you help us determine whether that could be a solution?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stay on but sometimes goes off completely. So we are baffled but the car needs to be smog check soon (we live in California).

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I changed the automatic transmission fluid and I have been doing that maintenance myself for the last 20 years and the car shift fine to both my wife and myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Will you let him/her know that we want to know if it is a valve, connection or the actual solenoid causing the problem. Thanks.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/18/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 4 months ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. What you have here is a shift solenoid issue. Before I did anything else, I would recommend you take this vehicle to a shop that can do a complete transmission fluid flush. The solenoid codes are fairly common on these cars as of late; in our shop, when we see thsi, the first rule of the day is a flush. The issue with the solenoids could be as simple as dirt and varnish impeding the movement of the solenoid valve ever so slights (you would not notice it) but he computer can see the issue; this sets the code. The BG transmission flush system seems to work the best when it comes to complete flushing of the trans. When you change the trans fluid yourself, you leave about 4 quarts of contaminated fluid in the system (torque converter, trans cooler, trans cooler lines, etc). You never get all of the fluid out by dropping the trans pan. 90% of the time, the BG flush fixes this set of codes. It IS possible that you have a bad shift solenoid "E". That would require removal of the trans pan and dropping the valve body. You will need a copy of the service manual if you want to change the solenoid properly.

If you have any questions, please reply. Please do take a moment to confirm that you have received my input. Thanks!