Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just purchased a 1998 Toyota RAV 2 door. It has the

I just purchased a...

I just purchased a 1998 Toyota RAV 2 door. It has the factory rails for a roof rack but no cross bars. Can you direct me to finding the proper cross bars for the vehicle?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

No other questions

Answered in 2 days by:
3/20/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Are you 100% sure these are OME Toyota racks As I am a Toyota master tech and have never seen that style of roof rack on any of our vehicles. They should have either the Toyota insignia or part number on them if they are . If you have a Toyota part number then you may contact a dealer to see if they still have availability on the cross rails , but they may be out dated to do so . So then your only option would be a wreckers .

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Peter
I’m pretty sure my racks are factory. They are recessed into the roof and certainly have not been attached afterwards. The car in the second photo with the rack on it is not my car. It is another car that I took a photo of for reference. The vehicle is in Costa Rica where I purchased it three days before returning to the states earlier this month. I can try and get a photo of the rails for you. Do you need any other photos? Vin #?

ok then that's what threw me off, as I stated these will be specific to Toyota if they are still available or a wreckers. here is a link you may also be lucky on getting them

Use the second link as I goofed up pasting the first one.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have already seen that on eBay.
It was one of the first places I looked. There are at least 3 of them listed but all have a no refund policy they makes me nervous. They I appear to be the same crossbars and mounting system but it’s just really hard to tell what you’re getting from eBay. I am now shopping parts geeks and some Toyota used parts specialists.

I realize this but I have dealt with E BAY for a long time and what I like about it is you can communicate with the sellers and ask questions and make deals. I checked on this sight and there is a communication area that you could ask the seller any question that bothers you so give that a try.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I don’t really see how you answered my question. You simply gave me a link that I had already seen and a tutorial on something I already knew. Not worth $20 for sure.
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician