Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its broke. 1989 Toyota cressida. Fuel pump distributor

Customer Question
1989 Toyota cressida Mechanic's...

1989 Toyota cressida

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cressida yourself? What have you tried so far?

fuel pump distributor sparkplugs

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have spark fuel and compression

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/17/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 month ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Can you advise me of the colour of the spark, the fuel pressure PSI and the 6 compression readings? Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Normal white arc and I know it has compression due to it running one day randomly I redid ignition timing but my problem was my distributor won’t point to cylinder one I am following the factory manual also another problem is my fuel pump then I replaced it but it only works when I jump the fuel pump on the diagnostic terminal I’m thinking it’s the open circuit relay.

You are correct. The circuit opening relay is what activates the fuel pump. Inside the air flow meter there is a switch that closes when the engine is running. This closed switch sends a ground signal to the circuit openint relay. When the relay energizes, the fuel pump gets power. If you are jumping FP to power the fuel pump, you probably have a bad circuit opening relay.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But the issue with that is the car won’t start when I jump the terminal so fuel is working and isn’t my problem right ?

If the car is not starting with FP jumped, and you cannot get #1 to line up on the distributor the camshafts are probably out of time by one tooth. Did you check the timing belt for being in time?

Where is the crankshaft mark?

Fuel pressure would be good to know, and, is the EFI fuse in the underhood fuse panel not blown?

EFI Main is the relay for the fuel injection.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I tested 2 different efi relays both don’t change anything and also the crankshaft marks are all aligned the car ran before this

Fuel pressure readings are needed. You need to have 32 PSI at the injector rail.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How would I go about checking that and also I have a code 22 I think it might have something to do with all this because the ecu might be bad or not use cold start properly

Check fuel pressure with an adaptor that interfaces with the fuel rail. Find thsi at an auto parts store in the tools section. Some are rather expensive. A code 22 is a faulty coolant temperature sensor, sensor shorted/open/disconnected, or bad wiring to the sensor. If the coolant temperature sensor is not sending the correct information back to the computer, the engine does not start. A disconnected or faulty temperature sensor will transmit a temperature of minus 40 degrees F.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m stumped I replaced the sensor it still pops up as a cel do the wires go straight to the ecu ? I’m assuming one is a ground and the other a signal as it’s a 2 pin sensor.

The temp sensor sends the computer a resistance value. The wires go thru the firewall to the computer. If the sensor is good and the wires to the ECU are good, the ECU may be bad.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m starting to think the ecu is bad the wiring is old but connections are still fine I will try to check on the ecu for any visible signs can’t complain with a 30+ yr old car

Ok. Check on the ECU. Look for corrosion inside the wire connections and any burnt spots

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert