Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It is leaking power steering fluid from the resivour and…

It is leaking power...

It is leaking power steering fluid from the resivour and sometimes it is hard to turn the steering wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak? And have you checked the reservoir?

I can see the leak and I have checked the reservoir and had it topped off with fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Toyota Solara SLE, 2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Just checked fluid.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

What exactly is your question for me? How can I help you?

My car has a leak in the power steering reservoir and now it is becoming hard to turn the steering wheel at times.

Do you live where rust and corrosion are an issue? How bad is leak how much do you have to add in a one week.?

No, there is no rust or corrosion. I have had to only top off the reservoir about once a month so it is not leaking that bad. I was wondering if the pump is going out or is it just a hose assembly line that might need replacing.

Depending on how many miles you have on this vehicle it's possible the front pump seal could be leaking. However that would be more towards the back of the vehicle under the car. The odds are it is the rubber hoses that are hard as a rock due to the age. There are couple on the bottom of the reservoir and a couple down underneath along the frame rail. To replace all those hoses and or the power steering pump it would probably cost in the neighborhood of $800 or better. You can buy a lot of power steering fluid for that much cash. Just keep an eye on it and keep the fluid full once a month is not bad and you won't have any issues with steering unless you let the fluid get low. If you need any other detailed information regarding this issue feel free to reply and I will get back to you. Otherwise if you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided you today at three or higher and a 5 would be awesome thank you.

Also instead of using expensive power steering fluid you could use just generic automatic transmission fluid and you'll be fine.

Can you tell why it is hard to turn the steering wheel when I am first driving the car. Like it seems like when the car warms up then the steering is fine.

Usually the does it was cold it's related to the power steering belt being loose have someone check the power steering belt and make sure it's tight and not slipping. If the belt is tight and it still seems to be difficult to steer when it is cold it could be that the pump is not pushing enough pressure. The only way to know for sure would be to run a pressure test at the power steering rack itself.

I believe I have a small coolant leak that may be affecting the belt.

Normally when you get coolant on the belt it will squeal. If the water pump is leaking that could contribute to it.

Thank you for all your help. Have a great day!

You are welcome have a good weekend.

I am fully satisfied and will be glad to giving you a rating of "5".
Thanks
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician