Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am told that I need to replace my air injection pump on my…

I am told that...

I am told that I need to replace my air injection pump on my 2006 toyota 4 runner? trying to get an idea of what it should cost

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Toyota Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Well I took it to a Toyota dealer and they quoted it at $ 2,000 to replace. So I am trying to find out if I can have it done elsewhere or do I have some negotiating ability if their cost is really out of line?o

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids recently?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not fixing it myself I did check the oil it was ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Other than how I knew there was some kind of problem After I would come to a stop and then tried to go again, it would not respond to the gas peddle and could not go fast until it got fast enough to get into the next gear.

3/16/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!
The air injection pumps on these vehicles are a known issue. So, this is a very common repair. The air pump sells for around $615 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 3.7 hours to complete the job (Expect to pay for a full 4 hours labor here, as most shops round up to the nearest hour to accommodate for any unforeseen problems that may arise). Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the bot***** *****ne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can be anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. So, the estimate you received of $2,000 is definitely on the high side. It might be a good idea to shop around for a better price. Most local shops that have Toyota repair experience should be able to handle this job without much problem. A local shop will always be cheaper on labor. However, the air pump itself "should" be obtained from the Dealer. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
What will happen if I don't get it fixed rite away

The air pump plays a role in the emissions system as well as fuel/air delivery. SO, the longer the vehicle is run, the more risk to other parts and sensors in other systems like the oxygen sensors and the catalytic converter. It can also decrease engine performance and lower fuel economy. So while not exactly a "major" issue, definitely something to look into more sooner than later. If the converter is damaged, these are extremely pricey to replace.