Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2010 tundra has 4HI4LO flashing and traction control

My 2010 tundra has...

My 2010 tundra has 4HI4LO flashing and traction control light on. Drives normal but no 4WD. Have had problems since buying it used april 2017. In october of 2017 had ABS on 4HI4LO flashing and traction light on. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the transmission $5600. Before that they replaced a solenoid. Really getting tired of putting money into this truck. It has 95000 miles. I have a 2006 tundra that had the secondary air pump fail installed a bypass kit. Still have to reset every once in a while. Makes me wonder if the transmission needed to be replaced. Anyway can't find any chart to explain the dash light codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes all ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. been going to the deaership

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It drives normal but no 4WD

I see people asking about this in other forums. Is this something toyota has a problem with?
The ABS light is on now also
3/16/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

ok

Usually when the traction control light comes on there is a stored code in the system did anyone check for codes? especially body codes , I also doubt the tranny needed to be replaced as well, did you askk them what the trans had to do with your4WD? because I can tell you--nothing.

It was reving up the rpms before shifting. I read online about speed sensor problem or wire harness or connector problem. They replaced a solenoid. Then same thing happened then new transmission. They had me. I was in the hospital with back injury and my wife was dealing this. After the new transmission. Lights flashing now a new 4wd solenoid. I think i hear one of the rear wheel bearings. Wonder if the abs sensor has grease on it? My wife has the truck now

The easiest way to check any speed sensor is on a scanner that shows wave patterns of each censor, it is quite possible they also damaged a censor wire when doing that job if they didn't disconnect the sub wire going to it. I would at this time take it to another shop for a code read.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician