Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The VSC light, check engine light and master warning light…

The VSC light, check...

The VSC light, check engine light and master warning light are all on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2004 Toyota Prius

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Prius yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just came on tonight and will not be fixing the car myself.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just purchased this car.

3/16/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have the vehicle identification number available? Do you have a simple code reader that you can pull codes from the engine control computer through the diagnostic port under the left side of the instrument panel? If you do not in most states except California New York and Virginia most auto parts stores can check these codes for you for no charge.

I am in California. My vehicle ID number is ***** I do not have a code reader.

Are you noticing any loss of power? Is the HV battery still charging and the engine starts and runs ok?

Engine starts and runs ok. Not noticing loss of power.

Okay this could be something as simple as a loose gas cap or something in the emissions system if the Hybrid battery is charging and the engine is running normally. The vehicle skid control light will come on by default whenever the check engine light comes on. We need to know what the code numbers are that would be set in the computer. If you don't have a code reader and you live in California you will need to purchase a generic code reader you can buy one from most part stores for less than $50. I recommend everybody have one in their glove box it will save you hundreds of dollars and diagnostic fees. If you think you've may have left the gas cap loose simply remove the negative battery cable from the 12 volt battery located in the trunk area and this will clear the codes replace the battery cable back on and start the vehicle up and see if the check engine light comes back on. let me know if you need any other specific information and if you want to get a code reader and check the codes yourself they are plug-and-play just post that code number back here.

I just drove the car and there is loss of power and the rear right passenger fan is running.

If you can hear the HV cooling fan real loud it sounds like may something is going on with the HV battery.

Is that the 12V battery?

No the 12 volt battery is in the right rear quarter panel area there is a cooling fan that cools down the main HV or high-voltage battery. Generally you don't hear that although there have been some problems with debris clogging the fan which causes the battery to overheat and the fan may run unusually fast that would be the only reason why you normally would hear it.

What about loss of power?

When the HV battery starts to overheat it will start to shut the system down and you will lose power. If the yellow check engine light is not flashing then that means the cylinders in the engine are firing normally. Without code numbers it's hard to say for sure what's going on.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Ok thank you. I am at the mechanic now.

You are welcome let me know how goes.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician