Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hoping you can help! Had my Check Engine Light go on mid…

Hi! Hoping you...

Hi! Hoping you can help! Had my Check Engine Light go on mid Feb. and had a transmission flush to fix, then rebuilt transmission with Aamco, replaced a Toyota brand shift solenoid with Amco still trying to fix the CE Light. Today Aamco replaced the Valve Body and reconnected all solenoids and CE light came back on my drive after picking up car. Now they say it could be the ECM?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on. It came back on after 22+ miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2009 Corolla

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Aamco is fixing for me but hoping to get any additional info they might be able to use to get this CE light fixed once and for all. If it is the computer, is that expensive to replace/install?

3/16/2018
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Do you know what code it is setting by chance? Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P2757 - assuming it's the same code since it's been the same one since this started.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aamco is now saying it could be the ECM. Is that a possibility and is that expensive to replace/install?

Is it possible it's the ECM, yes it is possible, but certainly not my first thoughts, the code is for the torque converter clutch solenoid. They need to make sure the wires from the ECM to this solenoid are good and not open anywhere first. Do you know if they've checked that? usually if they have replaced the solenoid then it's a wiring problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe they did replace the torque converter clutch solenoid as part of the rebuild. I can definitely ask them. Is there anything else you can think of before it being a computer issue? I haven't experienced any other lights/dashboard issues. If it's the computer, wouldn't a lot of other things fail?

"If it's the computer, wouldn't a lot of other things fail"?

Not necessarily, as every circuit in that ECM is part of a solder joint and it's on a printed circuit board, so in the event that solder joint fails or cracks, it is possible that it could have failed and only give that code. Now again, I'm saying it could be the wires between the solenoid and the ECM. that is where I believe the problem lies, or at the connector at the ECM itself, I would have to ohm out the wires between the TCC solenoid (Torque converter clutch) and the pins at the ECM. If the wires are good, and the solenoid is good, and you still get the code, then only at that time would I consider ECM replacement. I don't believe the ECM is electrically connected to the TCC solenoid in other words. If they haven't ohmed out those wires and made sure they are good, then I would highly suggest they do that next before replacing anything else.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok sorry what does "ohmed out" mean?

Ohming out wires, means to check them to see if they are good or not, a piece of wire 3 feet long for example should have less than 1 ohm of resistance, a piece of wire 20 feet long may have 3 ohms of resistance, a piece of wire broken or corroded may have 10K ohms of resistance or be open circuit with infinite resistance which is what I believe is going on with your vehicle. I can't be 100% sure, but I do not believe the ECM is electrically connected to the TCC solenoid like it should be. So with a DVOM or digital Volt/Ohm meter, a tech needs to test the wires from the TCC solenoid to the ECM connector and make sure those wires are good with less than 1 ohm resistance.

If they replaced the TCC solenoid though, and the wires check good, and you still have this P2757 then at that time I would consider a new ECM. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok got it now. So you think this is the next step they should check for before ordering an ECM? I'm already $5200.00 into this repair and originally picked up my "repaired car" on Feb. 26th, after paying for a rental car for 13 days out of pocket. So, now I'm just frustrated, out of patience and don't want to spend any more $ than I have to. :(
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You!

I understand. I would absolutely ask if the ECM does not fix this vehicle and you still have the P2757 then ask them if you would be liable for the repair if they misdiagnosed it. Because it sounds like they want to "try" and ECM to me with no guarantee's it would fix it. which in my opinion you shouldn't be billed for if it doesn't fix it. because if it didn't fix it, then they mis-diagnosed it and that should be on them. Ask them if they "ohmed out the wires from the TCC solenoid to the ECM" and see what they say. if they say they haven't then I would ask them to do so.

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else please let us know. Thank you.

Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Eddie. I just called the guy and they said all the wires checked out with the Torque converter and wires were all checked with the Toyota solenoid the installed last week. So I guess it must be the ECM for the next step.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it possibly the TCM?
Edward
Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician