sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I've got a 2013 Toyota Sequoia. The door locks work

Customer Question

I've got a 2013 Toyota Sequoia. The door locks work sometimes, at other times they don't. It alternates between which of the 4 doors it effects. It's currently the front passenger door that will not engage with key fob or internal switch. It will go for a few days, and start working again. I've also had issues with the power window on that particular door not working. The fuse diagram shows "slot 53" as the location for the lock relay, but block 53 is occupied by the fusible link assembly. Does the fusible link assembly also serve as a relay? I understand that Toyota actuators are notorious for failing, but given the issue with the window on this same door, in addition to the other doors having intermittent lock issues makes me suspect the problem may be electrical. Looking for guidance before I remove door panels or change the fusible link.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: It doesn't work from fob or the switch inside the vehicle.
JA: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Is this an automated response?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Toyota
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are several things that could be going on and you have at least a couple different problems at the same time. It's going to require some electrical testing to determine exactly what is wrong.

The left front door lock actuator is controlled separately, the other doors are controlled together. If you have one of the other three doors that either works or doesn't work with the others at any time then the issue is with the lock actuator or it's wiring.

What's going to need to be done is either remove the door panels on the affected doors at the time the problem is happening and start by checking for power and ground to the actuator, or you could inspect the wiring in the boots between the doors and body. This wiring flexes each time a door is opened and closed and can eventually break. Broken wiring may also be the cause of the window that will not work.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.