Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

97 4runner. Battery keeps going dead. Used to hear the

97 4runner. Battery keeps...

97 4runner. Battery keeps going dead. Used to hear the clicking from the relays when i tried to start it and the interior power would come on. Haven't had a chance to replace the battery but went to do so earlier and it is completely dead. Even the auto door locks won't work

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I haven't tested it yet. I changed the battery a few years ago.I honestly don't drive much

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just messing with the connectors to make sure they are secure and clean

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think that's it

3/15/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
What exactly is your question or what are you looking for as far as information or assistance?
My question is whether or not the battery is dead or it is a more serious issue with the alternator.
I would just like your opinion on what the issue could be
Okay just didn't know how much detail you needed. First thing you need to do is jump start the vehicle either with a jump pack or with another set of jumper cables. At that point make sure the battery charge warning light goes out if it does then immediately turn the headlights the wipers and the heater on. This will put a large electrical load on the system and if the battery is low on state of charge or going bad and everything dies or quits then the alternator output is very weak and you would need to get that tested. If after starting everything seems to be working normally with all the electrical loads on you can probably safely assume that the alternator output is sufficient enough to keep up with the electrical loads and put some charge back to the battery. If it keeps going dead then you will need to get the battery tested most auto part stores do this free they can even test the alternator output for you also. Based on your previous descriptions though it sounds like the battery is completely gone. If you need any other specific information feel free to reply and I will get back to you. Otherwise if you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided to you today at 3 or higher and a 5 would be awesome thank you.
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Ok so I went out to check the connections to the battery again and made sure they were good. I got back in the car and turned the key to on but didn't try to start. The lights and wipers come on and work. Tried to start and no clicking sound. It used to have the clicking sound as early as Monday afternoon. Does this sound like the alternator or starter to you?

Did you try and start it in neutral? Firmly hold your foot on the brake and place it into neutral and see if the engine will turn over?

I can't get it to go into neutral. It's an automatic

Going to neutral you would need to push the shift interlock override I believe on the column shift there's a cover just below the shifter that you pop out and depress the lock override. If you have your owners manual it will show you how to do that just trying to confirm whether or not it's a neutral safety switch or not if you go neutral and starts up then you know that it's a problem in the neutral safety switch. The alternator would have nothing to do with it starting if there were no warning lights prior to shutting off the last time. More than likely it's something in the starter circuit or not enough current from the battery to engage the starter solenoid.

Ok i was able to get it into neutral. Still nothing. The lights on the dash are on and it was dinging when i had the door open. When I tried to crank it still didn't click or even try to turnover

Without testing the battery is hard to say for certain but it sounds like you got enough juice to make the wipers and the lights work it probably something in the starter circuit or the starter solenoid itself.

Ok great. Thank you for your help

You are welcome.