Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My ignition has locked up!!! key will not turn, "door open"

Customer Question
My ignition has locked...

My ignition has locked up!!! key will not turn, "door open" Icon Lit

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

Matrix 2003 113,000 mi bought 1/2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Matrix yourself? What have you tried so far?

Left in pkg spot prob tow to mechanic

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/15/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

There are a couple of things that can cause this fault.First, if you have a weak or near dead vehicle battery this causes low or no voltage which will prevent the key from turning and can cause the door light to come on or other electrical components to act up.You can try a jump start or battery recharge to see if this is the cause.If it starts up with a jump or recharge then I recommend having the battery and charging system tested for any issues needing to be repaired.

If this is o.k. the other issue can be a fault with the ignition lock cylinder itself.I have seen the lock cylinder bind internally needing re-keyed by a lock smith or replaced.This can bind or act up suddenly, unfortunately.

These will need to be checked into to then locate which component is causing this fault here and then repaired from there.You may have to have it towed to a mechanic or dealer to have tested and checked if a jump start or battery re charge does not work.But one of these is usually the cause of this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete