Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am trying to help my dad with his vehicle, 2011 sienna. i…

Second opinion] hi, i...

Second opinion] hi, i am trying to help my dad with his vehicle, 2011 sienna. i bought a scanner and got the p0430 code. we took the car to the shop and the mechanic got the same code and suggested we replace one of the catalytic converter for $1600. but my dad doesn't want to spend that kind of money so anyways could u help me, figure out this problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

Sorry, scoped out???

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

So i ask my dad do the small stuff, change out the engine and a/c filter. check the gas cap, we were thinking of changing out the o2 sensors. so i just found out the scanner has a live data reading. so i been reading and researching about it so the norm is .1 to .9 volts but some of the readings are confusing me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do u want the readings i got off of the vehicle

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/15/2018
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

hi peter,
okay, please ask hopefully i can answer it

Is there any other issues other then that code , or any other info you wish as I can offer you a service to chat one on one to do so as I am a Toyota master tech. Plus remember if I cannot help you your protected by this sight's 100% money back guarantee.

my dad's car also been vibrating/shaking when about to accelarate.

Has it been tuned up recently?

the vibrating/shaking been going on for awhile before the check engine light comes up.
no, my dad never does that. i mean taking to car shop for tune ups

this vibration when driving or sitting idling?

vibration when driving

are you sure it's not tire related or suspention

he says its like it hesitates when he wants to gas.

P0430 TOYOTA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 2

Possible causes; Three way catalyst converter Bank 2 Exhaust tube Intake air leaks Fuel injectors may be faulty Fuel injector leaks Spark plugs may be faulty Improper ignition timing Engine Control Module (ECM)

tires, no. he thought it was replaced all 4 tires and had it balance. i'm not sure about the suspenstion. but hes been checking, double checking, triple checking and nothing seems to be broken

If you got only one code it could possibly be related.

ah okay, maybe which causes the shaking/hesitation when drving
hmmm maybe. hopefully. can fix both problems with one solution.
okay ill him check the fuel injectors

I just offered you a service I feel may help us communicate on these issues better and can also offer you ways to save money on repairs.

okay, how

especially on those cats as you don't need to spend that kind of money to fix them, JUST HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON WHERE THE SERVICE OFFER CAME AND I'll TAKE CARE OF THE REST.

i know its not for sure but do u really have a solution
also do u need to replace all the fuel injectors

i HAVE BEEN A Toyota TECH SINCE 1977 SO i THINK i KNOW i AN HELP YOU AND EXPLAIN THINGS TO YOUR SATISFACTION. did YOU NOT SEE WHERE i SAID YOUR PROTECTED BY THIS SIGHTS 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE IF YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH MY SERVICE, SO YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOOSE AND A LOT TO SAVE IN REPAIRS AND KNOWLEDGE.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician
i know its not for sure, i just asking.
oh do we really have to talk over the phone

DID YOU WANT THE SERVICE? THERE IS SO MUCH i CAN TELL YOU VIA PHONE THEN TEXTING THAT WILL HELP FOR SURE

I would not offer this if I felt it wouldn't help

oh okay, i hope i can understand u. alright do via phone den

just hit accept button on the offer so I can proceed from my end

i did, like 3-4 mins ago
or do i click on send private info

I think you just hit the ratting button by mistake because that's all is showing at my end

You can try and send your info and see if that works

no i didn't click on the rating. cause when i accepted it there is a check mark. and says offer accepted.

hmm ok is there a box for you to send your contact info in

i sent it already
at the bottom there is a diamond and says you have aceepted an offer: and den to the left says 'edit your private contact info' which i sent

hold on a bit while I check out something

kk thx

Ok the sight must be having problems, but I see status is showing funded so it must have gone through some how as I on't see initiate phone call or your contact info. Reguardless I will have to help you texting , the slow er way.

Ok you can take notes or save this to file what I send you ok?

oh okay,

First of all a code helps us locate the area of problems but does not necessarily tell us it is a specific part failure. In other words if a code like the one in your instance points to the cat it can be other things related to it so that's why we have to check everything related to it. You following me so far?

i follow

good at any time you don't just ask me to explain better I am here to help.

okay peter

So, question? how many miles or kilometers are on the vehicle?

i think was 90,xxx miles

Has your dad ever used any oil or gas additives in the vehicle?

he said he put those cleaner inside. i think was the fuel injection liquid in the gas tank???
it was a white bottle. the bottom was wide and narrows up.

The reason I asked that is you really have to read the labels because some additives can contaminate the cats, they must read cat safe. Now as far as the price of the cat replacements, was this a dealer who quoted that price?

ah, my dad was wondering the same thing too. but he ususally does it but lately the pass 2 times. its been getting worse with the shaking and the lights came on.
no, was just a regular mechanic shop

Ok then why the high price is because they wanted to replace the whole pipe with the cats , If you took this to an exhaust shop they can replace just the cat for a fraction of that price , they just cut the bad one off and wield the new on in it's place.

i have no idea. its a mechanic we always take to when my dad can't fix it himself. and thats a quote for 1 of the catalytic converter
maybe i guess try another shop

Toyota also wants us to replace the whole pipe as well that's why we don't do too many because it's so expensive that way.

okay but how much does that run, do u know. too bad its out of warranty

Just need to call around to a muffler shop and ask if they do cat replacements and how much you will be pleasantly surprised.

I had one put on my Camry for about $400

Now I will explain how this code comes about

ah okay. but otherwise u don't think its the o2 sensors. also on the live data shows the catemp12 is 440 degrees. maybe that one is broken but do you know where that will be
okay also how do i check which fuel injectors are bad.

There are 4 ox y sensors two on each side , one in front of the cat and one behind it. When the cat goes bad they read different and the only way you can see that is on a shop scanner that has bar graphs.

okay. there is another catalytic converter at the bottom. the one not connected to the manifold, which is easy to replace. would that be the culprit?
ah k
where would bank 2 sensor 2 be. also there is a bank 1 sensor 3???

The code refers to bank 2 which is the bank closest to the radiator , so that's the pipe you need to look at and that's the convertor you need replaced.

okay, big job

There is no sensor code so I would just replace the cat first erase the code and see if any come back.

we kept erasing it and it keeps coming back lol
oh sorry i misread your info

it's like I said about $4-500 at a muffler shop

okay, i'll tell my dad. hopefully he doesn't mind the cost.

It will come back until it's fixed because it's a hard code

right. as far as the accelaration, just check fuel injectors?

As far as the rough running You only have the cat code so I would fix that first as it can make the engine act up because the oxy sensors are reading wrong telling the ECU wrong info to run the engine.

okay, my dad is more worry about the shaking
okay peter, thx for your time

One thing you will learn on these newer vehicle's is never assume and fix the obvious first

okay

After you replace the cat and you still have issues , you know where to find me. Good luck and all the best.

okay, thx peter. good nite