Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2007 Fj Cruiser stalled on highway. would crank but not

Customer Question
2007 Fj Cruiser stalled...

2007 Fj Cruiser stalled on highway. would crank but not start. mechanic said bad fuel pump, replaced fuel pump and mechanic said it started after replacement then died and would not start. now he says car will to scan on his machine at all. Had to tow it out of there. replaced fuel pump relay switch which appeared t be bad , same result crank but no start

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your car been stalling?

No started and runs fun, high miles 342,000. I was driving daily 150 to 200 miles. I was on the highway and it sputtered once and I coasted off road and then had mechanic start the above. Not a toyota mechanic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your FJ Cruiser yourself? What have you tried so far?

No the mechanic replaced fuel pump. It was a used but tested fuel pump out of a salvage yard. He said it started after he replaced the pump, but I wonder if it was with an alternative fuel source. The only thing i did today was replace the fuel pump relay switch which appeared to be bad. That was after the mechanic did the pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, it cranks but won't start

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/15/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 1 month ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

The first thing that should be done is to determine if the problem is a fuel or electrical issue. Did the mechanic that replaced the fuel pump scan the computer for trouble codes but said there were no codes?

When you turn the key to ON do the dash lights turn on including the check engine light? Before this happened did you get fuel shortly before that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had some existing codes which were catalytic converter related. But I have driven for 100,000 miles plus with those codes. Dash lights and check engine lights did turn on.

T​hanks for the reply, can you get some gas into the intake system or use some starting fluid to see if it fires up even if just for a couple of seconds that would eliminate an ignition system problem. Then we can concentrate on the fuel issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think so. that was my next thing to try. It is night here now so I want be able to give it ago until tomorrow evening. I can get replay back tomorrow after I try.

Sounds good just reply here again,

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician