Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 205 toyota camry solara. every thing has been fine.

Customer Question
Second opinion] i have...

Second opinion] i have a 205 toyota camry solara. every thing has been fine. Today I drove it, parked it and when I got back in and turned the ignition key...nothing happened. The security light is flashing. What do I do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

It blinks. I don't know how to reset the security system (the cardidn"t come with a manual when I bought it last year.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Camry Solara?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry Solara yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had it towed back home. It's not the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/15/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

The theft light is flashing while the key is in the run position?

Do you get the same results from your spare key?

Hi, Chris. Last night the car started again just fine. I had to run some erreands and stopped at three different places; no problems starting up. Then, I decided to pull in to Burger King for my last stop. Got my order, got back in the car...it wouldn't start. Theft light is flashing when the motor is off. Same result with both keys.

Can you tell me what the theft light does with the key in the run position?

Has anyone added an aftermarket immobilizer to the vehicle?

What do you mean by the "run position"? To my knowledge no aftermarket immobilizer has ever been added (I can't be positive; its a 2005 model and I bought it 10 months ago, bought it looks like the original ).

The run position is where you turn the key to start and then let go of it. It rests in the run position.

I'm not where the car is now (it's at the Burger King and I'm home) so I can't double check as we speak, but I think the light just keeps flashing when I try to turn it on.
Are you still there?

Assuming the light is flashing with the key on. This means the car thinks you are a thief. It is not accurately reading the chip inside the key. Since both keys fail. It is likely not the key. More than likely needing to be reprogrammed or the transceiver that reads the key. You need a diagnostic tool. So it will need to be towed to a dealer or call a local locksmith with the tool to come to the car and try to program on site.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

why does it think that i'm a thief? i.e., why is it doing this?

It is doing this because it no longer is able to read the code in the keys chip. It thinks the keys being used are not for this car.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris