Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When i first start to drive it i have to fan the gas to get…

Customer Question
When i first start...

When i first start to drive it i have to fan the gas to get it to sync into a gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

But when it warms up it stops doing it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Yes the little 4cylinder toyota tacoma has been starting just fine but is killing me on gas

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Tacoma?

Its 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tacoma yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well once the vehicle sat for a couple of days when I got back in it it wouldn't even shift into gear what I did was I dropped the transmission pan and I replace the transmission filter it was completely plugged up

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not off hand

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/14/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Toyota Service, Toyota Expert replied 1 month ago
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Can you describe the substance that was plugging your filter?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do believe it was just old transmission fluid that was severly pugging up the flow. When i removed it a ton of fluid poorer out after it. This was about a year ago amd drive ot regularly on farmer markwt roads with little to no stop and go.I have to feather the throttle to get it to catch a gear and it has a hard time shifting into 5th gear (overdrive). But 4 mins down the road and its completly fine.I can let the truck completly warm up at idle for ten mins and still have the problem though..

I would recommend a complete transmission flush (with machine designed for this in a shop) be performed, and a can of transmission fluid cleaner/conditioner added during the flush process. If you have something that is plugging the filter this substance may be causing the transmission solenoid valves to not seal properly.

Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert