Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I can not get the ignition switch to release after pushing…

Customer Question
I can not get...

I can not get the ignition switch to release after pushing in to release clip it will not let go

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the car been stalling out?

No it some times won't allow car to start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

1991 camary

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes pulled panel off pushed in to release clip to remove and it will not let go

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/14/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic replied 4 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - Are you removing the switch, or the ignition lock?

Switch

have you pulled the cylinder out?

1. On models equipped with airbags, disarm airbag system as outlined under MAINTENANCE PROCEDURES/AIRBAG SYSTEM DISARMING.
2. On models less airbags, disconnect battery ground cable.
3. On all models, remove steering wheel, if necessary, steering column garnish, if equipped, upper and lower covers.
4. Disconnect electrical connectors from ignition switch.
5. Turn ignition key to ACC position and remove ignition key cylinder.
6. Remove screw and ignition switch.
7. Reverse procedure to install.

Switch is held on by screws me thinks, but it has been awhile since 1991...

turning the key to accessory position is the important point, and then there is a little button to release the lock cylinder

That's the problem it will not come out
It will not come out

OK - so in the accessory position, pushing the little round button down (metal button - on the piece that holds the ignition cylinder, and with a pair of pliers on the lock cylinder, it wont come out?

No

Just so I'm clear, we are not talking about the plastic button?

No the cylinder. It self

I'm sorry I cant help you out - the only time i've run into an issues is when the cylinder was all messed up, and I couldn't get the little pin to depress in the accessory position. Maybe another expert has an idea for you.