Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am trying to help my dad with his vehicle, 2011 sienna. i…

Hi, i am trying...

Hi, i am trying to help my dad with his vehicle, 2011 sienna. i bought a scanner and got the p0430 code. we took the car to the shop and the mechanic got the same code and suggested we replace one of the catalytic converter for $1600. but my dad doesn't want to spend that kind of money so anyways could u help me, figure out this problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle been "scoped out"?

Sorry, scoped out???

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sienna yourself? What have you tried so far?

So i ask my dad do the small stuff, change out the engine and a/c filter. check the gas cap, we were thinking of changing out the o2 sensors. so i just found out the scanner has a live data reading. so i been reading and researching about it so the norm is .1 to .9 volts but some of the readings are confusing me

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do u want the readings i got off of the vehicle

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello

The van is going to need a catalyst to make the code go away, but I can help you interpret the scan data.

Are you referring to the oxygen sensor data?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay, yes i been trying to read the oxygen sensor.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i know what numbers to look for but apparently some numbers are confusing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also it seems there are 6 o2 sensors on the 2011 sienna. also i been looking at the catalytic converter temp. one of his below the 800 degress. but idk which catalytic converter its refering to.

Front sensors are wideband sensors, and will provide a lambda number close to 1 when the vehicle is running. The other sensor will be conventional, and will provide a voltage between .1 and .9 volts

I would have to look at a diagram to tell you which catalyst it is... It is the bank 2 catalyst - the side of the engine that has number 2 cylinder

https://www.grumpymechanic.ca/tag/wideband-oxygen-sensor

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay. idk. i have to figure what u are saying. haha and check on it. my dad took the vehcile to work
20180313_151117.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_151133.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_151137.jpg2018031...jpg20180313_151152.jpg2018031...jpg
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but i uploading some pics.do u think this will be the problem.o2s11 (ma) is -0.023 and the o2s21 (ma) is -0.043it seems the the o2b1s2 and o2b2s2 is normal but why does the o2b1s1 and o2b2s1 is in the 3 volts range???

It is the way the wide band sensor calculates the air / fuel ratio. I'll explain what you are looking at. Thanks for the pics. Hold on... I can only type so fast. Nice scanner, by the way... Lots of info

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay. no problem. thx for look at it. and thx a cheapie device got from amazon after my dad got the 3 of lights on dashboard coming on. i thought i get a scanner. after reading many reviews got this one. hope it does the job lol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
really hope i can solve the problem. my dad knows alot about fixing cars but this is puzzling him and the car has been shaking/vibrating alot. he switch out the tires, had alignment done, rims are good, control arms good, etc but car still vibrates/shakes. i wondering if its due to bad o2 sensors and making car shakes. sorry prob too much info haha.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry i trying to read the article u sent. i have no idea what it is.

So a couple of things first... replacing the O2 sensors won't fix this problem. But if you do decide to replace the catalyst, make sure the ignition system is 100% - spark plugs, boots from the coils. Misfire kills catalysts.

Regarding the article, this is high level stuff. Not really the place to start, but you asked the question...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay. is catalyst the same as catalytic converter.ignition system 100% meaning making sure everything is in working order?

Yes - 100%

First pic - O2S11 - oxygen sensor, bank 1, sensor 1. This is one of the upstream sensors, and has a massive direct effect on air fuel ratio. The mA reading is mostly irrelevant to us, but the second reading is the Lambda number. A lambda of 1 = 14.7 air fuel ratio. So if you take 14.7 x 0.993, you come up with a current air fuel ratio of 14.6 to 1

Your catalyst temperatures are of interest, because one is low at 500 compared to the other. The low one is probably the bad one.

Pic 2 - nothing too interesting but you have another expression of Lambda on the bank 1 sensor 1 at 0.998

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay.so there are 3 readings on the catalytic converter. how do i know which is the catemp12??

Cat temp 12 is the catalyst on the same side as number 2 cylinder, which would coincide with the P0430

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry i read the other day catalytic converter should be from 800 - 1600 degrees. but just read another article it says at least 400 degrees. so who is correct
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay. the one connected to the manifold. which is a big job. versus the one under the car which is an easier fix

400 degrees to start working - efficiency goes up as temp goes up, but only to the point where catalyst damage occurs. So, note that one is colder than the other one... the bad one is colder.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay thx

Do you have to meet an emission inspection in your area?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, but my dad is a taxi driver so i would like the car be in safety mode

This isn't unsafe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
oh okay, what do u recommend. thx

New catalyst would be best if you want the light to go out, and to minimize pollution. From Toyota. It is the upper one.

Email address, and i'll send you a helpful picture...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry dumb question, would a mid-level mechanic be able to change it themself.

Yes.

It becomes a pain if the bolts are seized up

Alright! If you have been happy with your answers, please close up the question and rate my service. Regards, Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ah okay. thx canuck. really appreciate your time and expertise. i'll let dad know. thank you again!!!!

Excellent. Thank you. Happy to help out. You just took in a great deal of info, in a short period of time!

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic