Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Will turn over but will not start. Let me give you some

Will turn over but...

Will turn over but will not start. Let me give you some background; rebuilt the suspension, new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, pulled the gas tank for welding rear springs on, new AC, alternator and power steering pump, new engine oil and filer, new spark plugs and fuel filter. Prior to all of this the vehicle ran, is a 1991 Toyota 4runner with a 3.0 V-6 and 5 speed. When I was done with the modifications I hooked the battery back up and would not start. Checked spark (good), checked fuel pump (good). Lost....

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

I bought the vehicle knowing the clutch was going to need replacing, but even with the old clutch it shifted good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

1991 Toyota 4runner SR5 3.0 V-6 5 speed 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Checked spark, checked fuel, not seeing an engine check light when the ignition is turned on so checked the fuses (good)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that's about it.

3/14/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Your saying that the check engine light does not come on with the key on for a bulb check but all fuses are good?

Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good.
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Customer changed out the air flow sensor and now the 4Runner will start but will die almost immediately. Once I put in the air flow sensor the engine check light comes in each time the key is turned on and I rechecked the voltage at the TPS and I have 12 and 5 volts. Sounds like it's now the TPS, but I'm waiting for expert advise.
Russ

Hi Russ!

Check to see if the engine remains running on starting fluid. If so, then you know it is a fuel delivery concern and you can then check fuel pressure and injector pulse.

Good luck!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do, I'll let you know which will probably be tomorrow where my helper is not here.

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did the spray test and could keep it running with spray, not well but could keep it running. How do we check fuel delivery? Previously I checked that the pump ran by jumping in the diognostic box, and it did. Also had unhooked the pump on top of the tank and ran and it had good flow. The fuel filter has been changed.

You would check fuel pressure using a fuel pressure gauge up at the fuel rail at the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t have a way to check fuel pressure, is there another way to do it? I’m wondering if O’Reilley or some auto parts has a loaner test kit?

No, there is no other way to check/test it accurately.

YES, they may have a loaner kit available.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll see if I can get a kit and let you know.

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Test kit here, where do I hook into the fuel system?

Right at the fuel line/rail

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All hooked up
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Looks like about 45psi while cranking

Ok that sounds good. Are you sure the fuel in the tank is fresh? No bad gas causing this no start? If that checks out good, then I would recommend to use a noid light to check injector pulse while cranking. You can get a noid light set or a universal noid light to check injector pulse on the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Never used a noid light? I believe this was available at the auto parts also. Where does it hook in and I’ll see if I can get this going.

You actually plug it into the connector that goes to the fuel injector after disconnecting or unplugging it from the fuel injector. The noid light should blink as the engine cranks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t believe it’s bad gas but I can drain the tank and put fresh in to assure.

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Tank drained of about 7 gallons. Getting ready to plug it up and fill with 5 fresh gallons.

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Put in the 5 gallons and tried starting several times to hopefully clear the gas if it was bad. Got it started and let it run for a while but sounded like it’s running on about 4 cylinders. When I shut it down the cadilitic converter sounded like it is steaming. All the time it was running the check engine light remained on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Temp had just moved off the cold mark when I shut it off. Going to check spark plug connection where I had put new plugs in.

Sounds good!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can’t find a loose plug wire, started again but still acts like it’s running on 4 or 5 cylinders. While running I hear almost like a backfire in the exhaust, not sure what that is.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wondering if the distributor cap and rotor could be an issue, just cleaned but didn’t replace.

YES it could be

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Changed the rotor and distributer cap and did not change the issue. Pulled plug wires from cap one by one to see which made a change and #2 and #4 didn’t make any or much difference. Going to trace wires to assure they are not crosses and pull those two plugs to assure gap And connection is good.

Sounds good!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 and #4 were crossed(what an idiot) changed and started right up, letting it warm up now.

YUP! :) That will do it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounded ok while it was warming up but when it kicked off high idle it dropped to about 300 rpm and started surging and would continue to surge when given throttle.

That sounds to me like an air fuel ratio issue. Usually this is a vacuum leak provided the valve timing is on and the exhaust is not plugged. but a faulty TPS could also cause this code. If you run it long enough, it should flag a code related to this issue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine check light was on. I’ve unhooked the battery to clear everything and will hook it up shortly and restart and see if it throws the engine check light again. Should I check the timing while I have it running?

Sure, that would be good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can’t get it to idle steady to check timing. While I had it running I unplugged the TPS and it didnt make any difference. When you rev it up it surges at the higher speed also.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Smells rich

Ok then I would confirm the exhaust is clear and check the timing belt (timing marks)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Exhaust is clear as far as I can tell, it’s exhausting while running and seems fine. It sounds fine when it is warming up but when it kicks to idle it starts surging shortly. I’ve given up for the day.

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Amedeo, pulled off the timing belt cover on the front of the motor and I’ve rolled the motor over multiple times and come up with the same thing; both cams are in time with each other but the crank timing comes up 180 degrees out each time.

Keep in mind, the cams turn half the speed the crank. So if you turn the crank 360 degrees. the camshaft marks should line once again.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The cams remain in line each rotation but never align with the timing mark

Ok, excellent! Then the timing belt and marks checks out good

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m looking at the cam cog wheel marks against the backing plate for both cams and they always come around together.

Sounds like its ok to me. Can you send me a pic?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Go ahead and reassemble?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All reassembled. Took off the throttle body where it is easier to set the TPS on the bench. TPS set and throttle body reinstalled. Trying to check timing with rolling motor by hand and bringing #1 piston to the top. No mater how many times I’ve done this the crank timing mark is not lining up with TDC, it is always past TDC by roughly 20-30 degrees. Not sure what I’m missing here.

Not sure either. Which mark is not lining up?

Are you talking about the mark at the balancer to timing cover?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
With #1 piston at the top of its stroke (as near as possible) the timing mark on the crank shaft is not lining up with the 0 timing mark which should be TDC

Got it... yeah, thats a problem provided you are doing/reading it correctly. Usually this is due to a faulty harmonic balancer or the keyway is off/broken/missing causing the pulley to turn or shift on the crankshaft.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wow, I’m not sure what else could be wrong with this thing. Should I pull the harmonic balancer and try to determine what’s going on?

You will need to investigate further, yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just to update you, I pulled the harmonic balancer and it was almost in 2 pieces, replaced it with a new one and reassembled everything. Now when I roll the motor over by hand everything is lining up when the piston is at TDC. Started it up and let it warm up, installed the jumper and timed it at 11-12 degrees. It started doing the surging again but was running long enough to throw a 24 and 31 code, I’m working through that.

Thanks for the heads up! Sounds like we are making progress.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Today I bled the cooling system because I’d read that that could cause the surging at idle. Just started it up and it seems like it went right to about 8-900rpm once it came off warm up idle and stayed there without surging as it was before. I’ll try it again tomorrow to assure that was it and I think we are good.

Sounds good!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Toyota Technician