Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I got the vehicle back together and have a crank no start…

Customer Question
I got the vehicle back...
I got the vehicle back together and have a crank no start situation. I've checked timing, cam sensor (resistance check ok) and replaced the crank sensor as the old one had bad insulation, but checked out (resistance check ok). New crank sensor also checked out (resistance check ok). I have no injector pulse (checked with noid light) at any of the injectors and no spark at any of the ignition coils. ALL relays, fuses and grounds are confirmed ok. I get no movement on the tachometer when cranking. The reluctor ring was reinstalled with the "F" facing outward when reassembling and the cams were checked out when I had the head/valve job done. The car did have 3 codes before I started the head bolt repair (P0301 CYL1 misfire, P0304 CYL4 misfire and P0300 Multiple misfire), I am not getting any codes now as the battery was disconnected during the head repair. I "primed" the pump 5 times using KOEO method although I understand this is not necessary. I checked for loose/broken wiring on the crankshaft sensor circuit and have found no breaks. I'm thinking that the ECM/ECU is bad.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/14/2018
Toyota Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

you are thinking correctly. i cant be anything else

hows it going?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked for voltage at the C/OPN and EFI relays and only got voltage from one of the terminals (same one at each location). I was under the impression that I was supposed to get voltage at 2 terminals (load/control) each at the fuse box while KOEO. I switched the C/OPN relay with the horn relay which worked (honked horn identical relays) then re-installed the horn relay back into its original place then checked the horn and could hear the relay click, but the horn did not sound. So I don't know if there is a problem with the fuse box (All other relays and fuses tested good) I also checked for voltage at the crank sensor, cam sensor and engine temp connectors and got no voltage reading from the ECM side (KOEO). I've pulled the ECM and sent it out for diagnostic/repair and purchased another one from a recycler that had matching numbers and also came out of a working 02 Camry, so I'm going to do a swap on Sunday and am replacing the bad relays as well and give it a go. Do you think I should pull the fuse box and inspect for any damage? I already pulled the battery and checked both positive/negative cables that run under the tray to the fuse box and they look good. Any ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I would and its always a good idea to inspect the fuse box on a problem like this. corrosion is a big factor

hows it going?

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician