Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

IT is a 2000 tundra FWD SR5 the drivers headlight is dim…

IT is a 2000...

IT is a 2000 tundra FWD SR5 the drivers headlight is dim even after replacement and the highbeams do not work and the indicator light in dash does not work. The fog lights work and turn signals, brake, and license plate work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

The fuses were checked out. New fuses were used with no change in the condition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tundra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, checked fuses and changed the bulb.

3/14/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

this the head lamp wiring circuit ,click on link to view

we have 2 systems, with day time running light and with out ,which one u have

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

The lights do not come on in the day time. I would like to fix it myself if I can.

This is the fuse box lay out , in the under hood fuse box,you should have a relay called ( HEAD relay) ,do you see that on my diagram i sent you and does it match your fuse box

let me know

Left side of the driver side ,there is fuse box, there is Built in relay called Integration relay , this one feeds power to our combination switch then that switch power up our headlights

do you see that on the schematic

The lights do not come on in the day time. I would like to fix it myself if I can. yes, i see them.
I see them.

ok great , take the relay out and check for any burned marks

do you know how to test a relay ,if not find one like it and swap it ?

is the relay staying closed ,stuck closed keeping lights on , lets start here ,next go to the inside fuse box and the integration relay, check same thing ,let me know

I see them.

wait for my reply, this is not exactly texting here , so might take some time to get reply based on the internet traffic, but i m still with you

I see them.Great, I am at work and connot do the testing. Could you please talk me through it as If I did it? I may be able to purchase what needs
to be replaced. Or could we continue this conversation tomorrow? I am sorry I did not know that I should be able to do the work as we chatted. Thanks

oh no worries man, this post stays open for you to come back and finish anytime

since you ate work , when ready ,read below how to get back in touch with me after u done some checking

The most common is the headlight switch ,but we have to test first so we not throwing parts at it

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
to be replaced. Or could we continue this conversation tomorrow? I am sorry I did not know that I should be able to do the work as we chatted. ThanksI will check as you asked and get back to you. Thank you
Chad, I need the wiring diagram for a 4WD not 2WD. You sent the 2WD schematic. Could you please send the 4WD? I will check the car against the schematic after I recieve it. Thank you.

sorry try this

Chad, My truck is a 2000 Toyota tundra SR5 with crew cab with suicide door. 4.7litre V8 4WD

2000 Toyota tundra SR5 with crew cab with suicide door. 4.7litre V8 4WD , lighting circuit

Turn signal wiring

i m going to quote you ,you said FWD earlier , no worries though :)

Customer

(IT is a 2000 tundra FWD SR5 the drivers headlight is dim even after replacement and the highbeams do not work and the indicator light in dash does not work. The fog lights work and turn signals, brake, and license plate work.)

this the turn signal wiring

this the 00 tundra sr5 v8 4wd , wiring circuits

Thank you Chad, I am sorry you are correct I did write FWD instead of 4WD

Head lamp

Symptom chart

Thank you Chad, I am sorry you are correct I did write FWD instead of 4WD. Thank you for all the info. I will let you know how I make out.

yes please do , , no worries , i was joking with you .you can keep asking me follow ups

you know my schedule on here ,if i m not online , i will get an email that u replied and get back to u as soon as i can

Hi Chad, I replaced the head relay but no change. The left headlight is dim all other lights work. To review. The fuses check out ok and the replaced relay did not correct the situation. The weather is terrible. I will check the voltage on the three wires to the light tomorrow if I can and let you know how it works out. Any suggestions?

hey man, sorry to hear that ,

let me know on the wires reading tomorrow ?

Hello, Chad
The left head light has 13 volts on the car side of the fuse but has only two volts at the headlight plug on the blue red wire. This wire should have the same 13 volts I assume. I will review on removing the harness/fuse box and see if I can locate a left headlight harness. Would that be right or do you have any suggestions? Thanks

You are correct , we have 13 volts on one side and we are only seeing 2 volts the other side , something is shorted out between fuse box and headlight left

Thanks, ***** ***** you posted

ok

Chad, it was the pigtail. cut the shorted wire and tested the pigtail from were I cut the line and the fitting. There was no continuity. I put in a new pigtail and works fine. Thank you for your advice and diagrams you were very helpful.
Andrew
Hey man , well that is awesome news ,I glad :)
Please Use The Stars On Top of Your Screen So,I m Credited ,A 5 Star Rating is Much Apreciated
Oh sorry did not mean send last part u already rated me
Thank you for the Rating :)
If you need my assistance in the future Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page
You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800
Certainly, thank you again, Andrew

Y0U WELCOME