Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Battery light and security light flashing when car is off. I…

Battery light and security...

Battery light and security light flashing when car is off. I have a brand new battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Toyota?

2011 Venza only 45,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Venza yourself? What have you tried so far?

No just had an oil change 3 weeks ago and a new battery installed 1 month ago

3/14/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Trying to clarify which light is flashing. Is this the little red picture of a small tiny car with an overly key image? Can you post a picture of the light? As its flashing? When you start the car up does the light go out?

Two lights are flashing - the red battery light on the dash and a blue light under the steering area which I was told was an after market security system. This is a certified preowned Venza.
I don't wish to have a phone call -

The phone call is computer-generated and as automatic just ignore that if you don't want to do the phone deal. That being said the little blue light for the aftermarket security system is usually pretty normal for those aftermarket systems to flash. I'm still trying to figure out this battery light as you call it. Can you describe the light? Does it have the small shape of a car and flashes about once every three seconds? You are not referring to the battery charge warning light that's on the combination meter that's an illustration or picture of a battery?

OK just left the computer to look - it is the car with the oversized lock light
I thought it was a battery at first

Okay that is what I thought. That is the immobilizer security light. That is designed to flash as a deterrent similar to the aftermarket blue flashing light. If the car ever did not start and you notice that the security light was flashing that would mean there is a malfunction in the immobilizer system. The light should go out immediately after you start the vehicle. That is normal operation. If you need any other specific information regarding the system feel free to reply and I will get back to you otherwise if you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I provided to you this evening at three or higher and a five would be awesome. Thank you.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
OK thank you - seems weird that it only now is doing this when I have had the car for 3 years.. and yes I will give you a 5 :)

Not sure why you didn't notice it but it should've been doing that from day one they all are designed that way :-) have a good evening.

Ok thank yoy

:)