Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I purchased new Toyota Camry in June 2015. I use it to do…

I purchased new Toyota...

I purchased new Toyota Camry in June 2015. I use it to do Uber, the car now has 100,000 miles and the transmission is shot. Dealer tells me there is coolant fluid in the transmission. Thus far my regular servicing has been done only at the dealer. The car is less than 3 years old how on earth does this happen. It is my belief this is a factory defex fatory defect

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

100,000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, servicing has only been done at dealership.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can this be a factory defect? The car is not even 3 years old

3/13/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have the vehicle identification number available so I can check a few things?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's 4T4BF1FK8FR491183
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I took it for usual servicing at dealer and was told the transmission is shot due to radiator coolant in transmission. The problem was already diagnosed, don't really need a diagnosis. My question/concern, is the car does have 100k miles on it however it is less than 3 years old this should not happen.

Standby looking into this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is my opinion this is a factory defect. What is your opinion??

I pulled up the history on the service that was done March 13. The complaint was that it jerked back and forth they said they road tested and found transmission shudder. Did they physically find coolant in the transmission fluid? Did they show you the coolant fluid exchange and confirm that it was contaminated?

I need to step away from my computer for a little bit. It's difficult to give you an opinion about a factory defect with a lot more info about what could be going on here. Here's the bot***** *****ne. It more than likely is something in the transmission cooler which on this particular transmission bolts directly to the front of the transmission it does not use the old radiator cooler with separate lines going to the radiator. I have seen a few of these transmission mounted coolers fail internally and caused coolant to get into the transmission. But out of the hundreds of thousands of them out there running around it's a very small number. That being said it shouldn't fail at 100,000 miles. In the description I read of a shudder there is also a problem with the torque converters causing a shudder issue on light acceleration between 45 and 55 miles per hour. This is due to a defective torque converter clutch in the torque converter. Those are getting covered for up to 150,000 miles in 10 years. If there's no coolant contamination and they didn't show you the coolant contamination and you're getting that shutter that I just explained that should be covered under the warranty extension program. If it is definitely coolant contamination I would plead your case to Toyota and see if they can take care of this under a goodwill warranty. Or worst-case scenario perhaps they do a 50-50 split on the repair. If you need any other detailed information feel free to reply and I will get back to you. If you have not done so please do not forget to rate the assistance I've given you this evening at three or higher and a five would be awesome.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u so much for this feedback. It is very ver helpful. U took the time to look into my problem and provide the most accurate feedback. I truly appreciate it.

You are welcome.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician