Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 93 toyota pickup. Able to get it running but it…

Customer Question
I have a 93...

I have a 93 toyota pickup. Able to get it running but it stalls when put into gear after a few seconds. If I am able to get the gas pedal pressed before it stalls. Check engine light is on (haven't scanned it yet). Has 206000 miles but replaced the tranny and it was running. Also had to replace the timing chain as it broke and the airflow meter because it got damaged and still stalls.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Those are the only things so far we have done.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
I also replaced the ignition coil.
When I did the timing chain this was all done: Timing Cover & Chain Kit + Water Pump Set + Oil Pump Set. Also did the Transmission Solenoid.
3/13/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech

Hello, thanks for posting

After the engine stalls how long before you can start it again?

Please read the diagnostic codes if any and let me know what the results are, thanks.

It starts pretty much immediately. I am in the process of locating a scanner. I do not have one that old enough.

You don't need a scanner for the OBD1 system you can use the check connector under the hood and a jumper wire, do you need instructions how to do this, the information is also available online.

I figured out how to do it. It flashed 3 then one so code 31= Volume air flow (VAF) sensor-circuit

Try another airflow meter, it sounds like it's shutting the fuel pump off, there is a switch inside that turns the fuel pump on when the air door is open a little it seems there is a malfunction with the switch in the airflow meter.

I just replaced it before contacting you thats the annoying part.

There is a green/yellow wire on the meter, run a ground jumper from it and see if it keeps running.

Is it located in the ponytail?

The wide electrical connector on the airflow meter.

How do I do the ground jumper?

Make a jumper wire from the green/yellow wire to ground, this will bypass the airflow meter switch and the fuel pump will run all the time with the key on.

To be clear its the green wire with yellow strip? There is also a yellow with green.

let me be sure and get back to you.

Green with yellow tracer.

Ok I will look into that as soon as I can.

Sounds good.

I was able to get that wire grounded. It moved a little but would shut off a lot. I notice the idle would change when pressing the brake.

Thanks for the reply, did the engine run after doing this?

It did run. It would run previous just just off when put into gear. now it starts and moves a little then turns off.

Thanks, ***** ***** just let it idle does it keep running for more than a couple of minutes?

How does the idle change when pressing the brake?

Its a bit more jumpy. Up and down vs steady.

Sorry for all the questins, I just want to be sure I understand the problem, does it run the same without the jumper wire grounded at the airflow meter?

Before the ground it would crank but shut off when put in gear. Now it runs in gear and will drive a few feet or so and then stall.

Ok, do you have the manual that shows how to test the terminal resistance test for the air flow meter, was this a used meter you put in?

Do not have a manual but I maybe able to look it up. It was used.

I believe I can send you something so you can check it out.

Do I need a multimeter?

You will need an ohm meter, most meters are volt/ohm meters.

http://www.globotrip.ch/Benzin/Toyota_files/toyota_truck_and_4runner_88.pdf

Copy this link into your search bar, scroll down to page FI-64 there is a procedure to test the airflow meter.

I guess I need to get a meter. I just adjusted the idle and i doesn't idle weird when the brake is on but until my husband gets home I can't test if it drives more than a few feet just in case it stalls and needs to be pushed. I know before we I grounded the wire last night it was as if there was no acceleration. Push the gas pedal and it wouldn't move.

Ok, keep me posted.