Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia 4wd Limited. My VIN is

5TDBT48A92S121159. My VSC TRAC and...
I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia 4wd Limited. My VIN is 5TDBT48A92S121159. My VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights have always been on. My DTCs are C1231 C1363 C1234. The ABS light is OFF and the system works properly. Do I replace the Skid Control Computer part number 89541-0C050 and do a Zero Point Calibration?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, the CEL is NOT on. I have never had ANY negative affects of these two lights being on. The only reason i'm looking into this is because it bugs me to know somethings technically wrong with my vehicle even if it is not acting any different. I want to get a good idea of how much this is going to cost me. I do not want to just start replacing items.
3/13/2018
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good.

this is a situation where the skid ECU will need to be replaced and yes the zero point calibration must be done also. you might also want to replace the brake booster. these codes seem to affect one or the other.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you verify that the part I need for the skid control ecu is 89541-0c050 ? I thought they changed it because they were having so many issues with this one in 2001 and 2002 but could be mistaken. Also.. So you're saying i should replace both the booster and the ecu at the same time then do a ZPC and should be all set? If i replace these things and cannot get the ZPC to work will it hurt my vehicle to drive it to the dealership?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You do not think the ECU is fixable by just having dealership reflash?

well, there was a recall for 2003 models but replacing the ECU and booster was the procedure for the recall. 2002 arent included in the recall but have the same symptoms. of course, you can always have the dealer reprogram the skid ecu and zero it out to see if that works.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
with your history do you think that is actually worth a shot?

with my history I always do whats best for the customer to try to save them money which in this case is a reflash. especially since you have no symptoms

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you have an estimate of what a reflash and ZPC would be? price-wise?

at the dealer, I never try to estimate a price. I can tell you it will be way more than it should be. If you can find a shop with a techstream scan tool, that would be your best bet

TechStream is specifically for Lexus/Toyota

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if i were to purchase the techstream software for the daily rate i could potentially do this my self correct?

sure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okee Dokee, soi got off the phone of my local dealer and it is 139.99... Were you thinking i can get it way lower? and to wrap up at this point i am going to try to find a local small shop that uses techstream or techstream lite and get them to reflash/reprogram my skid control computer (ECU) and then do a Zero Point Calibration. if this works since I'm not getting any of the issues of having a bad ecu except the lights.. so hopefully this will work if NOT then I have to order both the booster and a replacement skid ecu replace those and then do zpc. then that should fix it if reflash doesnt work correct?

that is exactly correct but I think you'll be ok.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome Dave, Thanks so much for your help!!!

please note customer satisfaction is my number one goal and leaving 3 stars or more rating for me will allow us to continue this dialogue until you are completely satisfied.and your vehicle is fixed. you may ask as many questions as you'd like at no extra charges. thank you have a great day

you are very welcome

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
have a good day too

thank you

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic