Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The car is 2001 Camry 5SFE and A140E. When the engine is…

The car is 2001 Camry...
The car is 2001 Camry 5SFE and A140E.
When the engine is cold and the car has just been turned on, if I go into reverse gear,
the shift is smooth. But after 5 minutes, when I put it in reverse either from P or N, the car
does a big jerk. And sometimes, it wont jerk at all.
Is it to do with front motor mount or something inside the transmission
3/13/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

The easiest way to check to see if it's a motor mount is simply open the hood have somebody stand next to the car and watch the engine while you put it in drive and then reverse and firmly holding the brake pedal apply light throttle pressure to power brake the engine. The engine should lift no more than about half an inch forward or backward. If you power brake it not let off of the accelerator pedal and the engine clunks back down or moves up more than that amount of space the motor mounts are bad. These were notorious to have front motor mounts fail. However simply going from drive to reverse at idle should not cause the transmission to thump into gear. Normally that's an internal failure in the transmission either due to excessive line pressure or something similar. My recommendation would be to do transmission flush and then have the pressures tested or checked on the transmission.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
When I did look inside the hood and the front part of engine i.e. after the manifold do seem to move more than an inch.
Thanks!

You are welcome.