Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

93 Toyota pick up. 3.0 v6- Removed plenum, replaced valve…

93 Toyota pick up...

93 Toyota pick up. 3.0 v6- Removed plenum, replaced valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket, truck doesn't want to start ..finally started..smoking like crazy and rough. We checked all vacumn lines, pcv valve, ect. Replaced spark plugs and wires for good measure. It is more of a whitish grey smoke then black. We checked all lines for leaks, none found.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Truck ran fine for 2 years, no issues before this. 3.0 v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 9-3 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket, replaced old wore out vacumn lines, pcv , spark plugs and wires. Have double checked all connections, none found loose.

3/13/2018
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician

Based on your description of the work he did and the white smoke you're getting it sounds like you're sucking coolant into the intake. Over by the throttlebody sure you did not switch the lines that allow coolant to flow through the throttlebody with the one or two vacuum lines are about the same size in that general vicinity. I see it happened more than once. Let me know if this is the mistake that was made.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will double check this when I get home from work, and will reply with the results. Thanks

You are welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just found a broke Bvsv valve, both lines that were supposed to be connected ...somehow were hid...I know I need to replace it but could this be the cause of my issue

Can you post a picture of the valve and hoses are referring to both from a distance and up close?

That is not going to cause the problem that's not a big deal that just applies vacuum to the diaphragm in the charcoal canister to allow to purge the vapor. That will cause the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Other the broke valve, I cant find anything hooked up wrong

That is the valve for the canister as I explained. Did you check the coolant hoses going to the throttle body?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did, they appear correct. Did I mention this truck has the egr deleted. Not sure if that matters or not. Also, before..the truck was cranking but smoking and rough....traced the lines and he found 2 lines crossed. He swapped those, and now truck doesn't crank at all. This is where he stopped at, yesterday. I picked up today looking at what you told me...I found that broke valve but nothing else. New distributor cap, spark plugs, wires, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gasket, efi relay, and still no fixed...lol...getting expensive

Have you confirm whether or not the white smoke is being caused by antifreeze did you pull the spark plugs out to confirm if there soaked with fuel or coolant? Did you get the fuel return line and the vapor line crossed over? That will dump raw fuel into the intake manifold. They come off the passenger side of the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, that broke valve I mentioned...I bypassed it...truck crunk right up...I hhad to adjust idle a little...ran truck over 30 miles at almost 60mph...ran like a champ. Crazy, lol...but I'm,not complaining. Thanks for your help. How do I pay you?

Simply apply a rating of three or higher and a five would be awesome. Just make sure that you didn't get the fuel return line and the vapor purge line mixed up because if the diaphragm opens on the purge line and it's connected to the fuel line will create problem.

Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Skyvisions
Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician