Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Toyota Camery with a bad EGR system. I have…

I have a 2000 Toyota...
I have a 2000 Toyota Camery with a bad EGR system. I have already tried a few things and need advice. The car stalls when I induce vacuum on the EGR, so I think the valve and ports are OK. Replaced warn vacuum lines and modulator. Still get the code about 20 miles after resetting it by disconnecting the battery. The VSW is very hard to get to, so I want to know if I can bypass it to check it?
3/13/2018
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok lets start with the code. Can you give me the code number??

Roy

P0401

let me check

is this the 4 cylinder motor??

I am a disabled Veteran and can afford $26. for a phone call....
it is a 4 cly 2.2L

ok

No phone call today.

bulletins for the code. the vsv is a common failure for this issue. when you get the egr valve the vsv should come with it.

Roy

thats the site, not me.

Roy

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Curtis Hibbs08/21/2014 | 13:10:25

ALLDATA Diagnostic Bulletin

RELATED VEHICLES: 1996-2001 Camry, Celica 2.2L. Related vehicles have similar information.

SUMMARY: P0401 - After the engine is warmed up, the intake manifold absolute pressure is larger than the value calculated by the ECM, while the EGR system is ON (2 trip detection logic).
The EGR system recirculates exhaust gas, which is controlled to the proper quantity to suit the driving conditions, into the intake air mixture to slow down combustion, reduce the combustion temperature and reduce NOx emissions. The amount of EGR is regulated by the EGR vacuum modulator according to the engine load. If even one of the following conditions is fulfilled, the Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) for EGR is turned ON by a signal from the ECM. This results in atmospheric air acting on the EGR valve, closing the EGR valve and shutting off the exhaust gas (EGR cut-off).

Read freeze frame data. Because freeze frame records the engine conditions when the malfunction is detected. When troubleshooting, it is useful for determining whether the vehicle was running or stopped, the engine was warmed up or not, the air-fuel ratio was lean or rich, etc. at the time of the malfunction.

PROBABLE CAUSES:

• Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) for EGR
  • EGR Vacuum Modulator
  • EGR Valve
  • Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) for EVAP

RELATED COMMUNITY CASES:

• MIL On - P0401
  • MIL On - P0401
  • MIL On - P0401
  • Engine stalls at stop intermittently
  • Check Engine Light (MIL) ON P0401
  • MIL On - P0401

DIAGNOSIS:

IMPORTANT: If P0105, P0106 and P0401 are output simultaneously, troubleshooting P0105 first. If P0401 and P0402 are output simultaneously, troubleshooting P0402 first.

1. Visually inspect the EGR, and EVAP, vacuum lines and hoses for correct placement, proper routing, kinks, cracks, or restrictions.
--> If the vacuum lines and hoses are NOT OK, make the necessary repairs and retest.
--> If the vacuum lines and hoses are OK, proceed to the next step.

2. Verify the EGR valve and the EGR ports are functioning properly and not seized, leaking, or restricted, by applying vacuum to the EGR valve at idle. The engine idle RPM should drop or the engine may stall. This indicates the EGR valve and passages are functioning.
--> If the EGR valve and ports are NOT functioning properly, make the necessary repairs and retest.
--> If the EGR valve and ports are functioning properly, proceed to the next step.

3. Install a vacuum "T" into the EGR valve vacuum supply line, and connect a vacuum gauge. Backprobe the Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) for EGR and monitor operation while driving the vehicle using the ERG cycle chart. Verify sufficient vacuum and ECM command signal of the VSV for EGR.
--> If there is not sufficient vacuum to operate the EGR valve, suspect the EGR Vacuum Modulator, or vacuum supply.
--> If there is no ECM signal to the VSV for EGR and the circuits are OK, replace the ECM.
--> If there is sufficient vacuum to operate the EGR valve, and the ECM is controlling the VSV for EGR, replace the VSV for EGR.

NOTE: Many technicians are reporting a very high incidence of failure for the VSV for EGR, because of an intermittent problem, that is undetectable during testing procedures. So their recommendation is to replace the VSV for EGR regardless of component test results. Also many are replacing the EGR vacuum modulator with the VSV for EGR as an added precaution.

vsv

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota,2000,camry,2.2l+l4,1364633,exhaust+&+emission,egr+vacuum+solenoid,4964

Can I run a temporary vacuum line from port "Q" on the vacuum modulator direct to the EGR valve to bypass the VSV just to clear the code long enough to reset the drive cycles and get the car inspected, then deal with the VSV later?

you can try but I doubt it. it works based on a load and that signal will be gone. you will also have a bog from it as well.

as far as the emission, try it and see. I doubt it.

Roy

My all data program calls out a check for the vacuum modulator the states if you plug the 2 adjacent vacuum ports P and R and blow into port Q (the output) you should blow freely. It seemed pretty clogged so I purchased a new one. When I got it I tried the blow test on it and it was even more clogged! I installed it anyway and still only get 20 miles for the code to pop up again.
From watching utube seem like if you get vacuum at port Q when you reach 4000 RPM the modulator is good. If I disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR the check engine light comes on in 6 miles (instead of 20), so I think the system works somewat.

yes it does sound like it works.

did you already have the test and it failed???

what state are you in??

Roy

NY The EGR system seems to work for only 20 miles before the code comes on, not enough to get the drive cycles reset for the inspection. If I could bypass the VSV an get 30 miles before the light comes on and I get the car inspected I'll be OK and then at a more convenient time replace the VSV. It's in a real hard to reach spot.

my point is this. check with the emission station. in Pa. if you spend more than 150 on repairs you are issued a waiver for the year. you need to produce receipts to prove the repair were made. if you did the work receipts for parts must exceed that

if they dont have that, then yes, try it and see if it works

Roy

roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
I don't think it's like that in NY. However I think you are allowed 2 monitors not reset to pass inspection, I am not sure. Y can not have any engine codes present even if you already spent a lot of money.

ok, then try it and see what happens

Roy

thank you