Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1999 Toyota Avalon starts but will not shift out of park.

Customer Question
1999 Toyota Avalon starts...

1999 Toyota Avalon starts but will not shift out of park

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Yes, have brake lights. already had a check engine for O2 sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself, just brake lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This happened after the car was detailed.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/13/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Matt, Mechanical Engineer replied 4 months ago
Matt, Mechanical Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd 1st investigate the connections to the brake pedal switch and the wiring to it for any crimp damage or fraying. Ideally use a multimeter to check that the switch is working OK. This is because the gearbox controller won't allow the lever to shift from park until it sees that your foot is on the brakes

There should be 2 switches one for the brake lights and the other for the transmisson and both are located at the top of the brake pedal in the drivers footwell.

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage for any broken parts and or missing bolts or if a bolt is partially out and is jamming things up