Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2005 toyota sequoia, w 190,000 miles. stiff steering since…

2005 toyota sequoia, w...

2005 toyota sequoia, w 190,000 miles. stiff steering since cold snap of 0 deg F. variably stiff, sometimes if turning R , sometimes if turning Left. better when warm outside

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

Yes, they were on low line for hot and adding dextron III ATF helped a little.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sequoia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried nothing else. much better on 40 deg day today. considering removing old fluid w turkey baster and replacing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. thank you.

3/13/2018
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi .

This is a typical issue of the power steering no being changed at the given time .

What happens is over time the power steering fluid build up condensation with in the fluid .

So when the freezing cold weather comes it starts to freeze the water that has built up over the year (Condensation)

and cause the steering to become harder to turn .as you said when warm gets better .

Solution:

Flush out the power steering fluid , and replace with ATF Mercon IV fluid .

This will put your steering back to normal .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. thanks. I will flush and that should take care of it.
thanks,
Pat

Thank you ,if still having a problem you can get back to me anytime at no extra cost .

Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician