Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2009 Corolla CE Light code P2757. Had tranny rebuilt and…

2009 Corolla CE Light...

2009 Corolla CE Light code P2757. Had tranny rebuilt and shift solenoid replaced. Still getting CE Light and same code P2757. Any ideas? Aamco is now checking to replace the Valve Body and reconnect the solenoids. Do you think this could be it? Trying to get any additional help to get this finally fixed so I can have my car back. :(

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check Engine Light. Coming back with code p2757

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Corolla yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I've taken it to Aamco and they have rebuilt the tranny. THe CE light came back on and they're having a hard time figuring out what exactly is causing it to come back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that now Aamco has ordered a new Valve Body to replace and then will reconnect the solenoids to see if that works - is what I was told.

3/13/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan!

Hello, give me a few minutes to type up answer for you. Thanks.

Check to see if the tires have been replaced with the incorrect size. It is possible for incorrect size tires to cause this code. ​If tire size is correct and new valve body doesn't help I suspect the ECM is the problem. The SLU solenoid is activated by the ECM to lock the torque converter. This code sets when the ECM detects the torque converter did not lock up when it is supposed to which can be to many reasons but the most common are the solenoid itself or the ECM. So I would try to push shop to replace the ECM if valve body doesn't fix problem. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, and Aamco did say the car IS getting lock up. Would that still be the ECM?
Daniel, Manager
Phone call session started

Yes probably because if it is working properly this would sound like the ECM isn't realizing it and setting code. Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you!

No problem, I'm happy to help. Make sure to let me know how it turns out or if you end up with more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Dan,
Aamco replaced the Valve Body and reconnected all solenoids. The CE Light came on again after I picked up my car. Aamco test drove for about 21 miles before I picked it up, and the CE Light came on around 23 miles while I was driving back to work (argh!). So now Aamco is looking at it possibly being the ECM as you mentioned above. Do you think it could be anything else in addition to the ECM? Maybe the TCM? I don't know, just throwing stuff out there since I've googled too much stuff for this. If it's the ECM, what is that looking like cost wise for the part and installation? I'm in CA.

If transmission was rebuilt properly then I think ECM is the last possible thing. The TCM and is built into the ECM on this vehicle. It is about $600 for part and a hour labor to install. I think Aamaco should be covering any remaining costs of repairs considering they have replaced multiple wrong parts so far. It is likely transmission didn't even need to be rebuilt if this code was the only thing you have been trying to solve. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I mentioned that part about the tranny needing to be rebuilt and they said the pan had metal shavings and had burnt out fluid. So does that mean no matter what, the transmission needed to be rebuilt anyway? Car has 227K miles on it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But yes, I originally brought it in for this CE Light and it's had the same code.

If it was shifting fine and didn't have problems besides the code I think the transmission NEEDING a rebuild is questionable, maybe it would have sometime down the line but plain and simple the rebuild didn't solve the issue it was brought in for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok that's what I was thinking too. Thank you!

N​o problem, let me know how it turns out. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Hi Dan,Aamco got back to me with a quote on the ECM - $788.00 for a new ECM, and $375 for the Reflash. They're going to not charge the hour labor since I've been having this issue with them trying to fix the car. I'm in CA, but is this a reasonable charge? Also, I mentioned to them that I've paid for a rebuilt transmission that didn't fix the problem and didn't need in the first place since there was no problem with shifting, etc. Aamco said they have to follow protocol and fix all the mechanical issues first before even looking at the ECM. Is this right?

Manual tells them how to test everything before replacing so for most part I don't feel they have any excuses. I'd ask them to show you troubleshooting steps from manual where it says to replace without verifying problem. You could buy a ECM yourself and probably save a few hundred. I probably wouldn't recommend going back this Aamco although this was a fairly complicated problem but I think dealership probably would have figured it out before rebuilding transmission.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks Dan. Just in case, which manual are you referring to? Is that a general manual or do they refer to the specific car's manual?

Each code has specific troubleshooting steps, the manual walks you through doing specific tests to verify components are bad before replacing. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

I don't think you should have to pay or replacement valve body worst case.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thanks Dan. In your opinion, do you think the ECM replacement would finally fix the CE Light? I've also noticed my gas consumption has increased since this whole CE light has been going on. I would hate to have this replaced and still have the CE light come back on later.

I do think this will most likely take care of the problem. I'd also tell amaco you don't expect to pay for repair unless ECM solves the issue. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Dan, Technician