Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 95 4runner v6 check eng. light on (code 52).replaced

My 95 4runner v6...

My 95 4runner v6 check eng. light on (code 52).replaced pigtail and knock sensor, code came back.checked continuity to ecm from harness, ok.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Check engine light.got the code from diagnostic test probed te1 to e1 got the 52 code.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes.diy,replaced timing belt and tensioner(i discovered no tension on belt,hydraulic tensioner was not extended)changed water pump

3/13/2018
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi .

See this a lot with the older 95 runner .

Now if the OEM sensor and wiring harness (pigtail) was replaced and the wiring harness from the pigtail to the ECM proved good then the ECU is your problem .

Now take great care that the connector are fully seated and no bent pins .

Pull the connectors on the ECM and check for bent pins and corrosion .

Use contact cleaner on all connectors and ECM plug.

Test the wiring from the Knock sensor to the ECM (right Kick Panel )

Common issue for the ECM to be the issue .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Thanks for your help, I just needed a second opinion, I knew it was the ecu. I will double check everything KnK to ecu (wires continuity and 5 volt reference from ecu and voltage drop 2.5.when plugged into wire harness and pigtail. Thanks again

Okay sounds good go ahead and check this thought .but check well wiring can be problematic ,wiggle test when testing wires from one side to the other.

All the best and please get back to me with what you find .

After accepting the question will stay open for you to get back to me any time with NO extra charge .

Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician
eric remington
eric remington, FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR
Phone call session started
Hey Greg ,well I had to change a water port hose and fuel line on the intake, redo timing with t.light advanced just a tidbit(need to climb mountain)so she's purring like a kitten (smooth ).I put the 4 runner in drive while holding down the brake pedal and gave it a little juice to see if the check engine light would come on and it did (not to my surprise )at the same time already probed for voltage drop( 2.3)looking for 2.5.So my next theory before I buy a ecm. Run a separate wire probed at each end and do same test that I have explained to u earlier

You could also have the ECU sent out to a ECU doctor and have it tested .

But common issue with this ECU failing .

Greg

U know someone in Hawaii

LOL good one ,go to a salvage yard and get one with the same numbers and it is a fit and play ECU

unless you already have the later 95 model that came with a coded key then you will need to reprogram .

Greg

U take out the old one, put another one in and play ecu. How do you do that?
Can Toyota dealer do it test the ecu?

Depend on the dealer ,in most cases they send it out to a testing station.

Other wise check on Ebay for a used unit, fit it and try cost are around $50US.cheaper than getting it tested and repaired

which can come up to $200 + ...

Plug in and play is a meaning that you only need to fit the new ECU and start engine with out programming .

Rgds Greg

Cool, I saw some on ebay

Go for it 50 can't go wrong .

Greg

Should I pay more than 50 us for one
I saw one for 149 us dollars with 14 day return and life time warrenty
I think it was reconditioned and programed

that would be more safer to buy .

just explain with the 14 days warranty that they will have to take into consideration the time it takes to get to you .

Greg

Rajah dude, I'll be in touch with you

Cool