Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Trying to add an LED auxiliary light to the light switch…

Customer Question
Trying to add an...

Trying to add an LED auxiliary light to the light switch circuit so it goes on when I turn the cart lights on. I have a red wire, blue (front lights) and blue/white (rear lights). Am searching for the circuit's ground. Is this ground side switching or power side switching? So I blew a fuse and am looking for the fuse block. Any idea where it is on a 2013 RXV 48v?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Do I need to add a fuse for a single low amp LED light?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2013 RXV 48v (EzGO)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Pulled beverage pan off so I have access to the dash panel wires. I isolated the 3-wire light circuit and probed for voltage numbers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this cart set up for ground side switching or voltage side switching?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
This is a golf cart - not a car
Do you have access to EZGO golf cart wiring schematics?
3/12/2018
Toyota Mechanic: gtnby2, Mechanic replied 4 months ago
gtnby2
gtnby2, Mechanic
Hello!
If you have a harness with the auxiliary light you are adding, run power and ground straight to the battery and use a relay controlled by the light switch. That way, if you want to add more lights later, you don't have to worry about overloading the factory circuit and blowing a fuse or even worse melting wires... If you need a diagram, I can make you one. Just probe the light switch for a 12v source after the switch...
There are only three wires going to the switch. One is a key on hot lead and the others go to the headlights and one to taillights. The ground circuit comes from the harness as this a 48v system. The power comes from a voltage reducer (48 to 12v).
I measure batt volt on the power lead and 0 volts on the blue wires until I turn on the light switch. Therefore, I should be able to connect my auxiliary light to one of the wires going to the lights and ground. When I do, a fuse blows. (The aux light is 26ma) and the circuit is 10amp fused). I put a 20amp fuse in it and the lights dim badly. I would assume I don’t have a good ground. The bats are tied in series. Can I just ground there? Or should I find ground off of the reducer?
Which ever is more convenient for the ground. I would go off the ground post on the battery that is attached to the ground lead. Run a wire off the "headlight" side of the switch to the coil side of the relay. Then run a lead from the + side of the light to the normally closed side off the relay, out the relay to the + side of the battery.
Okay. I need to add a fuse, but ground is elusive because on this system the body is not grounded. The ground is through the harness. The is a 48 volt system where four 12 volt batteries are connected in series
I understand. Using the battery ground eliminates the problem and yes I would fuse the positive wire close to the battery itself. 10 amp should be sufficient.