Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2009 Toyota camry 2.4 L 4 cylinder does not start when…

Customer Question
My 2009 Toyota camry...

My 2009 Toyota camry 2.4 L 4 cylinder does not start when engine is hot. After engine cools down, starts with absolutely no problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The Battery and all the electrical systems are good. Do you think it could be a sensor?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't tried to fix myself. But I did run a check on the electrical system and the voltage and amps are good from the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Could it be the battery cables, or is it possible that it is an ignition or crankshaft sensor?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/12/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Is this problem a crank no start or a no crank issue?

Have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not done a computer scan yet. It acts like it wants to start but seems like it is starving for gas. After the engine cools starts right away, no problems.

I would start with having the system scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting. I would also check the fuel pressure when it will not start. If the fuel pump is overheating due to failure it can cause this as well due to a drop in fuel pressure. Normal fuel pressure on your 2.4 needs to be right at 41 to 49 PSI and anything less then 41 would point to a weak fuel pump.

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician