Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Toyota sequoia two weeks ago check engine

Customer Question
light and VSC track lights...
I have a 2005 Toyota sequoia two weeks ago check engine light and VSC track lights came on it through a lot of codes all the O2 sensors mass airflow air system. I replaced the two upstream o2 and nothing changed, I sprayed a lot of cleaner on the mass airflow sensor nothing changed I replaced the downstream bank to censor because it had a zero reading on the diagnostic tool nothing changed. The mass airflow sensor on the diagnostics was reading .1 9LB/M and doesn't change if I have the gas that's the only thing left I can think to change. Unless it's some wiring harness, relay, ground or a computer issue. Appreciate any help thanks
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Toyota
3/12/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Unplug the mass air flow sensor with the key off.Then start the engine or turn on the key and see if the reading stays the same.If it does then you have either a shorted wiring harness leading to the engine computer needing looked into to locate the damage/short and repaired ( this can be time consuming ) or the fault is in the engine computer itself with the engine computer needing replaced.I have seen where the engine computer can fail suddenly and will cause this issue here with it needing replaced.It will throw out various fault codes like this as well as cause incorrect or no readings in the data display.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Thanks- what is the reading supposed to be for mass airflow sensor on the Toyota Sequoia when using the obd2 diagnostics?

Your welcome

I show a reading of 4.9 volts around 2000 rpm.Around .2 to .5 of a volt at idle.Unfortunately that is all of the data it shows for me on your mass air flow specifications.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Maf sensor shows .19 lb/m but doesn't change under increased rpms. Also the downstream O2 sensor that I replaced because it was showing a zero under the diagnostic still shows zero-but I don't know if that was in Loop or not. I left advanced auto parts so I don't have a scanner anymore.

O.k.,it sounds like either engine wiring at fault or the engine computer.The down stream sensor should show a voltage.It may stay a near steady voltage but should show a voltage signal and the mass air flow sensor voltage should move when at idle and off idle as well as when unplugged and if it stays the same then the wiring or computer has an issue.

Thanks Pete

I'm going to go back to advanced auto and use their scanner is there any other test I can do to determine if it's the wiring harness, a short or the computer ?

Usually the wiring for the mass air flow sensor has to be removed from the connector at the computer then the computer plugged back in to see if you still show a reading other then 0 volts with the key on for the mass air flow sensor.If you still show a reading for the mass air flow sensor then the computer needs replaced.If you do not then the wiring has an issue and needs inspected and repaired.

Thanks Pete

I'm at advanced auto I hooked up the obd2 the reading for the MAF sensor does not change whether it's plugged in or unplugged, on or off it's at .19. The new 02 sensor bank2 I installed yesterday is now getting a reading of .15 same as the other. To clarify if the mass airflow sensor was bad would it have a reading of .19 the same as if it wasn't even connected?

I would trace the wiring for any issues.If any issues are found with the wiring it will need to be repaired.If all wiring is found to be o.k. then the computer needs replaced.It will be one or the other here causing this fault.

Thanks Pete