Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

On my 94 Camry there are 4 things that have stopped working…

Customer Question
On my 94 Camry...

On my 94 Camry there are 4 things that have stopped working at the same time. I feel they are all related on the same circuit, because they all worked then quit working at once. They are: back-up lights, air bag warning light, horn, and cruise control.

Mechanic's Assistant: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?

The cruise control stopped working altogether, the cruise indicator on the dash doesn't come on either. The fuses were the first thing I checked, I have even cleaned the fuses with a wire brush and re-inserted them.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camry yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have done a lot of mechanical repairs, but nothing electrical. The most recent was to replace both idler pulleys and timing belt (2.2 4 cyl).

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Toyota
3/12/2018
Toyota Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

With this issue you prob have 2 problems one being what I think is your clock spring in the steering wheel and 2 being and issue with your back up lamps possibly a switch fuse or wire, what have you done to check these problems so far?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I pulled the bulbs and checked them. The first clue that these problems existed was the air bag warning light on the dash not going out once the car was started. Then it was noticed the back-up lights had stopped working. They were working fine previously. Then when driving on the freeway we found that the cruise had stopped working as well. The last was the horn, it was bumped and nothing happened. We don't use horns much here, but they are required to pass vehicle inspection.

have you checked the gauge fuse and horn fuse yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuses located on the lower left side of the dashboard have all been pulled and checked. Also the mini fuses located on the drivers side fender under the hood have been pulled and checked as well.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there another location for the fuses you mentioned? I found one behind the kick panel on the passenger side, but it was ok as well.

have you checked the fuse underhood labeled horn for power?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not specifically. I checked every fuse I could find under the hood on the drivers side fender as I mentioned. The car is being used by my son right now to commute back and forth to work. I can check further late this afternoon when he returns.

that would be great, no worries on time this question lasts as as long as we need to get the situation fixed and could last over a number of days, it dosent cost any extra per question or time limit, just the one fee and thats it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We will look into it further this afternoon and I will continue this dialog more tomorrow morning.

sounds good!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The 10 amp horn fuse is fine, I also pulled the horn relay and examined it. It was crisp and clean with no signs of damage. I feel that the failure of the horn is not the cause of my problems, rather a symptom of them. Maybe there is a circuit with an open ground or short. I have not found any bad fuses.

did you make sure it had power with a meter or test light?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No, I'll do that and get back to you.

ok

Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician