Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 4 runner 4l v6 dies sometimes when changing down gear.

2003 4 runner 4l...

2003 4 runner 4l v6 dies sometimes when changing down gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

180000, no fluid leaks noticed Pearl, John is my name BTW

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Toyota?

CORRECT, 4RUNNER LIMITED

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 4Runner yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing tried yet, MAF seem s to be a regular answer

3/12/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

That is a great place to start, there is special MAF spray you need to use on that, you can get it at any auto parts store, I also recommend for the throttle body clean a tooth brush and very aggressive carb cleaner and a towel to wipe out the excess there should be no carbon residue visible when done. After that, unhook battery neg first then pos, touch both terminals together and let sit for 30 mins, re apply pos then neg cables and perform relearn, 10 mins idle no accessories on, 10 mins accessories on and I mean everything in the car that can turn on , then 10 mins in drive with accessories on, turn off and restart and test drive

Ok, I'll try that and get back to you in a couple of days Shawn. Thanks

sure thing, let me know if you hit any snags

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician