Toyota

Have Toyota Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser. With the 2uz-fe engine it…

I have a 2006 Toyota...
I have a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser. With the 2uz-fe engine it will shutoff while diving. Usually it will restart in about 30 minutes. The last time it happened it wouldn’t restart at all. When this happens it loses all communication with the ecu. I had a scanner hooked to it the last time it happened and it shows no connection now. The cel is also off. I was just checking all fuses and wiring visually. I do not have access to a schematic. But while checking the ecu wiring I noticed. When one of the 5 connectors is unplugged the cel light comes on and then the engine will crank but still not start. As soon as that connector is plugged in the cel goes out again and no crank again.
3/12/2018
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Hi Chad .

This is a ECU malfunction ,its shorted out internally ,

I would remove and have it checked as it will be repairable if the ECU is bad.

To repair is much easier as you will not need to reprogram the system.

Here is a Link to one ECU repair shop or check local if there is one .

>>>Click here<<<

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

You don’t think it could be something down stream shutting the ecu down? Just a little history it recently had the timing belts replaced due to high mileage. We were going to reissue to another employee before this problem started. We didn’t have any complaints about problems before this.

It could be a bad ground or a short in the wiring but why i went with ECU is we had a very similar problem

with the same vehicle ,open up the ECU and check for broken solder points .

Smell ECU for burnt plastic ,

Greg

Will get you a wiring diagram .

Greg

I did do a visual on the internals of the ecu no burnt or cracked solder joints I could see and no burnt smell.
Thank you that would be great